Point-source and the argument of less ways= coherency

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes; keep the LP as far away from the wall as possible or use a 4" thick OC703 (or something with similar acoustic qualities) behind the LP. Former is better.

i have tried to add damping to the back wall but to my ears it sounds very unnatural, too dry in a way and sound field sounded skewed

i think i need to change my speaker/listing setup, firing along the length of the room instead to the width

i have tried to add damping to the back wall but to my ears it sounds very unnatural, too dry in a way and sound field sounded skewed
I don't know what you did, but the OC703 has worked fine in the situations for other people we've added it to.

i think i need to change my speaker/listing setup, firing along the length of the room instead to the width
Much better idea. Adding controlled directivity in the speakers as well, is even better.

The point is not whether they disappear, but how coherent they are, i.e. do you perceive a horizontal piano, harp or a vertical one? Or worse, one that moves in both planes.

This is what drove me nuts with a large/tall full horn system that only the DSL Unity/Synergy concept horns solved, so for me, anything less is just mid-fi at best unless one sits far enough away for them to appear as a single point source.

GM
Hi GM and thanks for that. I have since spent several hours listening to different music comparing point source (4"TB in a TQWT) with a wtm 3way.(Peerless 830452,satori16p and sb29rdc tweet) Same everything except speakers. I have come to the conclusion that the clarity/coherence is better with the point source, although imaging pretty much identical. I can only put this down to the different reflection times caused by the 3way driver positions
Pity there aren't more coax options out there. I'd like to try one

I can only put this down to the different reflection times caused by the 3way driver positions
Pity there aren't more coax options out there. I'd like to try one
You can angle the speakers to make focus, and WTM seems (more)optimal rather than WMT.

A coaxial + helper woofer is less optimal, since you are obliged to a setted position between T+M

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.