Advices on Planar tweeters repair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm sorry, I did not read it all. Yes, it's very time consuming, not very reader-friendly to extract the information's and gather them all on my own. Maybe you could post a summary in that thread? That would make it much easier for others to catch up, post their opinions and suggestions.
No need to be sorry It's perfectly normal, I will edit and work on a summary, the original idea I had have changed a lot since the beginning.

Well, they got a very good efficiency but they got a very low linear excursion, not more than ~1,5-2 mm Xmax. I don't know how much dynamic you need but if you want it louder, they are better suited as a mid or low-mid for a 3 or 4-way speaker, they are more designed like fullrange drivers (think about the BG-20). If you want to louder, a lowcut at around the tuning frequency will help a lot to reduce the excursion.

Well, that's a big problem, the FF85WK got only 86.5dB/W(m), the Gradient is 93, so the bass driver is 6-7dB louder, in the bass it goes down to maybe 90, 89dB. If it is as close to the wall as in the drawing, it will stay at ~91-92dB. You can't get that to fit passive since you can't increase the level of the Fostex passively. No objection if you are using a DSP though.
As a beginner in this I was not really able to make informed decisions in that matter, at first I thought just simulating a crossover in VituixCAD with the specs from the manufacturer was sufficient, but ScottG & Kimmosto where nice enough to help me (try to) understand that it's not a good workflow to succeed, and now I am following ScottG advices on his proposed design as he know a lot more than I do.

Hopefully in the process with the help I have (from anyone) I'll be able to be more in control for my future projects, but at this state I will make work with what I can.

From what I think I understand

The AXP-08 have a high sensitivity but in the range I will use them and the baffle-step it should be able to link with the FF85WK that seem to be close to 90db at the crossover frequency

Anyway what should I do when I encounter contradictory information's and I am unsure of which is valid?

Yes. That not only limits the backwards radiated angle, it brings the dipole opening far more back, the energy bilance within the room will be very awkward because the back radiated sound will be reflected by only a very small surface and angles, it will be strong from some angles and from others hardly anything is comming back. If you build it that way, it needs much more distance to the back to get that great, wide roomy impression of a dipole. In such a situation it is much better to build a open baffle above the bass or a [ shaped baffle/frame there (bass still ported).
I understand I think, so basically it's like a horn-loaded at the back, but this one one is a long squared tube with no taper, and the angle of reflection is narrow, by shortening that tube and/or tapering I would increase the angle of reflection.
ScottG advised to make the tunnel narrower by covering the tunnel sides top & bottom with lossy padding, so I guess he have some result in mind for that setup.

No. That would give you the short reflections which make the location quite difficult and would muddy down a lot of details. It takes down not only the depth but also the left-right positoning. The reflection should go upwards, to the ceiling to compensate for the too short distance to the back. That's not ideal but a lot better with the speakers close to the wall than without it. And you can easily (and practically for free) experiment with it, change the angle and find out which way you like it. You cannot do that with the planned design. A test box for the woofer and a separate baffle and/or box for the FR keeps you a lot more options open and, while costing money for the mid-high 'enclosure' wood, will likely save you a lot in the end.
Ho so in that case an upward reflector at the exit of the tunnel to direct the reflection to the ceiling.

The direct sound is very important for the details, the short reflections let the impulse reach the ear within a few ms, making it difficult to differenciate between them, it's perceived as unprecise, the details dwindle for the ear. The longer reflections (with longer runtimes) are important for the room impression but they also add up to the frequency response. That explains i.e. why an uneven absorption is bad for the stage impression. I've seen a video which explains it quite well, I think it was from Toole. I'll post it if I find it again. He didn't talk about dipole, but most can be applied to them too though.
Floyd Toole? Was it a recording from a presentation ?

You don't need an IEC baffle. Or a IEC baffle to measure gated. That's counter productive because that will be nothing like in the speaker. The only use for that is if you want to get tons of drivers and build your own databank. It's much better to measure the drivers in the speaker because then you can work directly with it. You'd have to measure it in the speaker afterwards anyway. And with a gated measurement you'll not be able to get real results with a dipole because you're filtering out the half of the energy, the perceived response will be a lot different from the gated measurement. You need that measurement to build the basic crossover (or setting of the DSP) but you will have to work from there with the response in the room. Dipoles aren't easy. You'll likely have the best results if you measure gated and then find a good position for the speakers by listening, then equalize them with REW or similar programs. It doesn't look like you have much space to get different, alternative speaker positions, it may happen you can't find possible/good sounding positions in that room.

I thought that an IEC baffle was useful in designing speakers by measuring the frequency response without including the diffraction's from the shape of the speaker to perturbate the measurements on and off-axis, and by so allowing to simulate the diffraction and experiment with front faces using VituixCaD, how can I make a decision about the general size and driver placement without having to redo multiple time that box ?

Please let me know If that workflow logic fail?

PS: I'm afraid I am dispersing information's for my project on two threads, would you mind responding in the other thread and consider this one out, as the repair of the LS plan not possible ?

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
From what I think I understand

The AXP-08 have a high sensitivity but in the range I will use them and the baffle-step it should be able to link with the FF85WK that seem to be close to 90db at the crossover frequency

That would work if you'd tune them deep and cross them over very low, like a subwoofer at ~120, max ~150 Hz. That would use none of its advantages (wide frequency range usable, high spl, low cone weight) and instead make all drawbacks of the driver really 'shine' (very expensive crossover parts at that xo point, low excursion, medium-low power capabilities) and on top of that increase the distortion of the FF85WK by a lot because then it has to make a lot more excursion.

I'm sorry but that pairing does not make any sense. Don't forget: The Fostex will lose 1-2dB because of the crossover and you got no reserves for any correction whatsoever. None. You cannot increase the spl passively! Go active (dsp) or use a different FR or different woofer.

Anyway what should I do when I encounter contradictory information's and I am unsure of which is valid?

• Try to get other information sources.
  • Try to learn the basics. There are courses, books, videos, guides and examples out there. You don't have to make every mistake by yourself.
  • Try to follow arguments logically, try to find the weak points or ask yourself or others for disadvantages of a solution. I initially doubted the 93dB of the Gradient and suspected they would reach the 93dB only at the upper mids and/or because of a very low impedance but then I found measurements opposing that and showed the combination will not work.
  • Apply the basic rules and mechanics. The mid and high drivers have to be louder or at least of the same spl as/than the bass to pair up. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
  • Try to understand the concept of the offered alternatives and that you'll likely have to change what you've been working on so far.
  • Ask yourself if someone actually wants to help or wants to fanatically just propagate his own 'perfect' standards (ofc that's exaggerated). If all you've got is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. Check, if he himself got a flexible, adaptive point of view and can work with something else too (and not just his one idea).
  • For some problems or certain situations are several solutions possible. For some, there is only one (unless you change more of the situation). There are combinations which will not work.
  • Ask for the advantages of an offered option. Ask for the disadvantages of it, too. Or, if not already explained, how something works or why/how it applies to your problem.
  • Verify the informations you've got with your own simulation. (Any simulation will show the pairing of the FR and the midwoofer will not result in a well designed passive speaker)
  • Don't try to fight physics or get things 'working' with force. You can't cheat physics.

I understand I think, so basically it's like a horn-loaded at the back, but this one one is a long squared tube with no taper, and the angle of reflection is narrow, by shortening that tube and/or tapering I would increase the angle of reflection.

• An enclosed volume with a smaller opening/tube/channel attached will work as a resonator.
  • A resonator will resonate at some frequency or multiple ones (TML).
  • If the resonances are wanted (BR, TML), it's okay but check if they actually wanted.
  • If the resonances are not wanted, check if they are outside the frequency range you want to use. If they are, np.
  • Such a construction would pose as a bandpass, at least for the back energy. Do you want that? For a dipole with a fullrange, very likely not. Usually the same response from the back as from the front is what's desired, otherwise it would only work as a dipole in a certain range.
  • Such a construction would restrict the backwards radiated sound in pattern very much. Do you want that? If yes, would it probably better if there wasn't any back sound comming back?

ScottG advised to make the tunnel narrower by covering the tunnel sides top & bottom with lossy padding, so I guess he have some result in mind for that setup.

Well, I disagree. I don't know what goal he wants to achieve by that but that doesn't fit the concept of a dipole. Maybe it would be more clear if he described exactly what target points he's persuing with that. And maybe it would help if you could describe what you actually want to achieve and it would help a lot more to check if that goal is reachable or not.

Ho so in that case an upward reflector at the exit of the tunnel to direct the reflection to the ceiling.

No capes! Erm, no tunnel. Tunnel and reflector doesn't work in combination, it contradicts each other.

Floyd Toole? Was it a recording from a presentation ?

Yes, Floyd Toole. Note he didn't go into dipoles, non-parallel positioning (i.e. diagonally used rectangle or square room), headphones or omnidirectional speakers.

I thought that an IEC baffle was useful in designing speakers by measuring the frequency response without including the diffraction's from the shape of the speaker to perturbate the measurements on and off-axis, and by so allowing to simulate the diffraction and experiment with front faces using VituixCaD, how can I make a decision about the general size and driver placement without having to redo multiple time that box ?

Please let me know If that workflow logic fail?

Usually you've got restrictions on how big the speaker may get, upper and lower limit because of the space and positioning available but also on what enclosure volume the bass driver needs to work properly. You've also got the height of the tweeter set, which is the same as the ears (usually the listening position, sitting, ~1m). That often leaves just a small certain range for the rest of the parameters. To make such measurements is beneficial if you want to build more speakers with the same drivers.

On your project and situation, it does not provide an actual advantage. It got three disadvantages though: You don't have to juggle with more/too much variables in the simulation. The simulation can't work with the backwards radiated sound and the room reflections so you can only rely on the simulation in a limited way anyway. The simulation has to be verified by measurement anyway (at non-dipoles too), so you can drop the effort (and probably added error margins) without any drawback.

Aside from that, you'd need an (actually very big) enclosure to make standard measurements of the woofer. And you have to build a system to swap the baffle (or a part of it) because of the different cutouts of the drivers. That takes up much more space most ppl are willing.

PS: I'm afraid I am dispersing information's for my project on two threads, would you mind responding in the other thread and consider this one out, as the repair of the LS plan not possible ?

I will if you write a summary, details of your goals and a complete description of the signal chain and if active/dsp is an option, a list of requirements (max spl, how deep in the bass etc), of your preferences (music, important characteristics of your listening preferences). And ofcourse, your budget.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
There should be no need to get personal.

I'm simply fed up you bring up the same, completely wrong crap over and over again at any random thread where it doesn't even remotely contribute to the topic, situation or understanding, let alone helping in any way. :mad:

It seems to me we have been at crossed purposes over semantics.

Yes, because you are too ignorant to learn and to use, and that applies to both.

BTW, the overall level of a midrange driver can be increased beyond its rated sensitivity using a passive band-pass filter.

It can, if..

..you are willing to take the highly increased Q and overswing
..you are willing to take the vastly worse decay
..you are willing to take the phase changes
..you are willing to take the immensely higher group delay
..you are willing to take the worse impulse answer
..you are willing to limit the bandwidth
..you are willing to take the low impedance (guess where the energy for that comes from?)
..you are willing to take the immense hit on the SQ
..you are willing to accept the influence on the crossover (if it can be done at all because the filters interact)
..you are willing to pay for the parts (usually more expensive than the driver)
..1-2 dB increase are enough, because you'll have to get the bump on top flat again

Which means, it's never even an option. Please, show me an example in a simulation.

Last edited:
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Wow, that's quite a list :)

Clearly, you've been around filters for some time. I just like to see the same for others, even if it is a steep learning curve. That extra power does have to come from somewhere.

But if the amp can deal with a ribbon, then...

Attachments

• xov.png
    xov.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 113

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
But if the amp can deal with a ribbon, then...

Again, total BS!

attachment.php

That graph does not have anything to do with a speaker. Take a simulation of a 2 or 3 way speaker, no matter if it's Boxsim, Virtuix or whatever but use it with a speaker and show the impedance and how it works with the crossover.

Funny you're using coils with 1,1mH with just 10 mOhm (milliOhm).

And just a little hint: A delay of just 1ms equals a distance offset of 34,3 cm!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.