Horn Lens for BMS 4594HE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
...and how does the HF @ the diffraction throat sound in real life?

I don’t know, I haven’t heard the HF950, but the measurements look pretty good and many have raved about the sound quality of Peter Morris’s PM90 that uses it.

But I suspect your question was more rhetorical - so feel free to elaborate why the smaller size of the HF950 would give rise to diffraction issues at the throat.

Last edited:
Yes people do rave about the PM90. I've never heard it. However looking at the actual horn that throat pinch is pretty extreme. In all my armchair exploration of CD horns this is frowned upon by the SEOS/hi-fi crowd due to "HOM" distortion or whatever. People who want 130db+ seem to have different expectations.

InOtIn, as I understand it, the 400Hz cutoff is for horn loading, not dispersion, and this is related to horn depth. Both the SEOS and the HF950 are about 8" deep IIRC. I wouldn't think the HF950 can hold its horizontal pattern below maybe 1.2kHz, with it's width being under 12 inches. The PM90 is not much wider so it is probably omni at the crossover.

So this horn looks like maybe the best 90deg CD horn for PA but is it "hi-fi?"

P.S I wish that QSC horn was available in a 1.4" throat. Maybe one day I'll try to ream one out and see what happens.

Last edited:
The XT1464 used in the PM60 is sonically superior to those who've heard both.

I agree with that.
I built the PM boxes where I can swap between the HF950 and XT1464.

Sometimes I wonder if my preference for the XT1464, which has a bit more forward, immediate sound, isn't simply due to the narrower radiation pattern.
Dunno.....but all that said, I would definitely call the HF950 hifi too...it's not that far behind..

Been following this thread with great interest, very interested in what folks think would work best.
Thx all !

It's only 60deg though. I've been setting up my rig (DJs playing for smallish crowds) with the QSC 90deg horns widely separated with heavy toe-in at the dance floor and I'm in love with the presentation. Sounds great even at the DJ booth. I want to do this with more firepower.

How come the RCF HF950 can have a lower cutoff than that of 400Hz at half the size of the SEOS-24? What’s the catch?

I wouldn't call that loading down to 400. Just some liberties taken when doing the marketing. Take a look at the spec sheet curve.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190511-063112_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20190511-063112_Drive.jpg
    639 KB · Views: 407
Sometimes I wonder if my preference for the XT1464, which has a bit more forward, immediate sound, isn't simply due to the narrower radiation pattern.

The XT1464 is too narrow for domestic use IMHO. I prefer wider dispersion. So does most people according to research by Toole/Harman (Revel Salon over M2 etc).

So the HF950 is comparable to the same size SEOS-12 when it comes to holding directivity, which makes sense based on physics.

I also have a pair of 4594 (ND not HE) so I follow this thread with interest.

How far off would a SEOS-24 with two 12” below it (JBL Everest style) and a ~400Hz crossover be from a Synergized version of the same horn having the same pair of woofers ported directly into it, from a perspective of perceived point source, directivity etc?

Last edited:
How far off would a SEOS-24 with two 12” below it (JBL Everest style) and a ~400Hz crossover be from a Synergized version of the same horn having the same pair of woofers ported directly into it, from a perspective of perceived point source, directivity etc?

Or three 8" woofers (e.g. SBA SB23NACS45) below the SEOS-24, which would also allow playing with shading of the two outer woofers (gain and delay). Still so much worse than a Synergy?

Last edited:
take a look at bwaslo's clever design for his "small syns." he places the woofers behind bandpass slots at the bottom edge of the horn. the horn mouth overlaps a good portion of the woofers. in terms of vertical directivity, this is the best you will be able to do without cutting holes your precious horn.

Hi all, I know this thread is about finding the best pattern control down low, but i thought some still might like to see some shameless on axis tuning of the 4594he on a XT1464.

I'm trying to see if I can measure horn reflections back into the throat...don't even really know what measurements to look at for that...been studying spectros and impulses as a start.

Anyway, in trying to do that today, I ended up with the following close range tuning.
Highpassed at 650Hz, 96dB/oct, and crossed to VHF section at 6300, same order.

Attachments

• 1464 onax spectro.jpg
    1464 onax spectro.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 327
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.