Expensive tweeters

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You are literally the first person I've come across who has issues with ATC tweeters.

Never come across an aluminium diaphragmed compression driver + horn I really liked. The newer mylar or whatever diaphragms are much better IMO.

But hey everybody likes what they like. :)

I think plastic membranes and diaphragms sound like plastic. I had the same issues with plastic sound with the TPL-150 AMT tweeter from Beyma.

Last edited:
I would bet that under double blind comparison most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a soft dome and a metal dome tweeter and even less so between a good inexpensive tweeter and a stupid expensive tweeter.
not for me!
I hade the chance to listen to two speakers: same XO, same Scan Speak Woofer, same ATC Mid dome
and a SS relelator soft or BE dome.
the BE dome was clearly better! more 3D, better resolution, clean heights.
for me BE is THE dome material.

There was an experiment, can't find it anymore, sry. Well, they tried what caused the fatigue and they found it's not the break up modes itself, it's the distortion of it, k3 and k5. k2 surprisingly did not add up to fatigue or exhaustion.
Don't forget, these modes often lead to IMD at lower frequencies too.
To bad you don't know which source that comes from, but it is in line with my listening experience as well. On a further note, 3rd harmonics add to the clarity or brightness but it comes at a cost of being too sharp and that is what causes listener fatigue. See my post #30 - Expensive tweeters

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.