How does a bipole kill baffle step?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Was that comment for me? If so, yes, of course I see that. I have no problems understanding baffle step. My skepticism is related to the "solution" some have proposed wherein they move one woofer (of a pair) from the front of the box to the back of the box.

Again, I'm *NOT* trying to be pedantic here. I know it seems otherwise.

Who else would it be for? ;) To be honest I think you need to explain now why it wouldn't work, in case you think you already have......you haven't :)

Well, let's focus on the part of the response that is 6 dB down. That's the root of my question.

SO, if we add a 2nd identical woofer, and double the input power, will the very low frequency response everywhere in the room (ignoring modal and other reflection effects) be affected by WHERE we put that 2nd woofer? I get that the low bass will be louder, but I think it will be louder regardless of where we put that driver. In other words, it's not the BIPOLE arrangement (in the low bass) that mitigates the baffle step, it's the contribution of the 2nd driver, no matter where it's placed.

Using the word bipole is distracting, yes. That is a poor simplification and often used with multichannel surround speaker info, very much misleadingly.

Placing second woofer on side or backside doesn't mean anything down low, but at mentioned transition zone it starts to make difference, and this difference variates at different horizontal rotation angles.

When radiators are close to each other, the distance between them changes differently clockwise and counterclockwise. Thus, spl response at certain angle and frequency is different.

I don't know any specific bipole simulator, but propably Xsim-3D and Vituixcad can dot that. The Edge is 2-dimensional, but it has dipole option. Dipole is pretty much like bipole, the difference is that at low frequencies there is cancellation instead of summation. But the transition effects are similar. Look at this example with wall simulating second "pole".

With Edge you can study off-axis response by moving the mic symbol sideways! You can simulate side-mount woofer by placing the driver offset from midline.

A quick demo with Edge. Offset dipole radiator, on-axis and left-right

Attachments

• offset dipole edge.jpg
    offset dipole edge.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Placing second woofer on side or backside doesn't mean anything down low,

Great, thank you! That was my expectation. It just took a while to communicate it.

but at mentioned transition zone it start to make difference, ant this difference variates at different horizontal rotation angles.

Good to know. For this particular exercise, I'm just trying to imagine the packaging requirements of a couple of small woofers in a very small box.

Thanks again!

Well, let's focus on the part of the response that is 6 dB down. That's the root of my question.
As the response in the low frequencies to the front reduces so it increases to the rear, if you now add a woofer to the rear it's response does the same and effectively replaces what has been lost from the front, as was mentioned it's quite an elegant way to do it due to the slope. If you are only interested in what is 6dB down then, yes, it makes no difference, use filters, to get it flat, so what is this thread about??:D

As the response in the low frequencies to the front reduces so it increases to the rear, if you now add a woofer to the rear it's response does the same and effectively replaces what has been lost from the front, as was mentioned it's quite an elegant way to do it due to the slope. If you are only interested in what is 6dB down then, yes, it makes no difference, use filters, to get it flat, so what is this thread about??:D

OK, bear with me. What happens to the low frequency response if we place that 2nd woofer on the front instead of the rear; i.e., two woofers on the front of the box? Is the low frequency response different than it would be with a bipole woofer configuration?

jimmy, what size of speaker are yoou planning? Please give dimensions and driver diameters so I can do some simulations. My previous example simulates a largish floorstand with 8" woofer. With smaller dimensions clean summation will go higher than 200Hz.

So, basically, you shouldn't put the other bass driver on other side in a two-way design!

The low frequency reponse will be the same. The difference is the content that is above the baffle step will also be louder if the 2nd woofer is on the front, yielding a non-flat frequency response, whereas if the 2nd woofer is on the rear, you effectively cancel out the content the 2nd woofer provides that is above the baffle step (assuming no room reflections).

The low frequency reponse will be the same. The difference is the content that is above the baffle step will also be louder if the 2nd woofer is on the front, yielding a non-flat frequency response, whereas if the 2nd woofer is on the rear, you effectively cancel out the content the 2nd woofer provides that is above the baffle step (assuming no room reflections).

Understood, but only if the crossover is above the baffle step frequency. If it's well below that frequency, then no such content exists.

My apologies for not being as clear as I could have been. I was trying to be very succinct and got myself in trouble by leaving out some application-specific detail. This might have been a better question for the subwoofer forum. I appreciate everyone's patience and help!

Understood, but only if the crossover is above the baffle step frequency. If it's well below that frequency, then no such content exists.

My apologies for not being as clear as I could have been. I was trying to be very succinct and got myself in trouble by leaving out some application-specific detail. This might have been a better question for the subwoofer forum. I appreciate everyone's patience and help!
People can only respond to what you post, now there's a crossover, or is it just a low pass filter on one of the woofers? Perhaps set out exactly what you want to do, and then the options can be discussed.

People can only respond to what you post, now there's a crossover, or is it just a low pass filter on one of the woofers? Perhaps set out exactly what you want to do, and then the options can be discussed.

It's not necessary, I was only interested in the low-frequency behavior (which was somewhat alluded to in my original post, but obviously wasn't super clear). Again, thanks for all the help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.