How does a bipole kill baffle step?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Really it should perfectly cancel out the baffle step better than a filter can

Only if you are at the centre of the radiation pattern of the 2 drivers. so if you can mount them on th esides you will achieve this. Otherwise you end up with what i call bipole droop. This can be minimozed with a box wider then deep, or a LP filter at an appropriate frequency on the back driver.

731782d1548531478-alpair-10p-build-3-bipole_03-gif

dave

You can do a quick experiment. Take two bookshelf speakers and place them back to back and wire them in series. Normally series would be 0dB net gain if aimed forward (double area but half current). But now, the bass should be more apparent below the baffle step. For circa 7in to 8in wide cab the baffle step is about 900Hz or so. If you wire in parallel, sensitivity should be +6dB plus more apparent bass. If you have a mic and REW, measure some polars in both configs. All of this is very accurately modeled in programs like Akabak or VituixCAD.

yea, I'm planning on doing them in series so I expect the response should drop about 3db. The woofer is more sensitive so the woofer should cross nicely to the bipole drivers, first order around 500 hz. I was going to do a semi open backed dipole but winisd shows a giant rise and drop in response. A sealed bipole seems to make more sense here.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Basing only on fundamentals.. Say you crossed the rear woofer in a way as to only include radiation that wraps to meet the front woofer, and your interest in this case is only the baffle effects. What you have is no different to common single driver BSC or 2.5 way. The main advantage of 2.5 way is convenience in crossing.

Alright so I thought about this some more. It seems that no matter if its a dipole or bipole you will still have a peak and null because of the summation from the waves between the front and back.

Its starting to look like dipoles are better off with active crossovers. I suppose if you crossover high enough to a woofer you could use a more simple crossover.

It would seem that a bipole can't kill baffle step. It might be possible though to put a dip where the natural baffle step peak is. Getting complicated.

Last edited:
Dipoles have quite a messy response due to the sound waves creating peaks and nulls. Of course this is only true below the baffle step. I assume bipoles have similar issues.

Linkwitz talks about it here Electro-acoustic models

I pity the fool who tries to flatten that with a passive crossover. Also part way down (A2) he says that dipoles have edge diffraction but even the great Linkwitz doesn't seem to know or care to explain why. Plain old box speakers are looking so simple now.

Last edited:
With a bipole you get dips in response at the half wave distance and peaks at the 1 wave distance? It does look like the response is rippled but not exactly at multiples.

Why is the top end and bottom rolled off?

Do you like the sound? I am learning that I don't like the directivity change that happens in typical smallish box loud speakers. Dipoles and bipoles help with this.

Last edited:
responses are traced from enclosure software, front is 12" in 150L sealed and rear is 12" 28L sealed.

vituixcad cuts out some when driver is placed on rear -180deg, aint far off in real life, but my speaker is placed near wall. that changes things a lot

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.