Speakers for a computer desk against a wall ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks, I realize I didn't post a pic from the whole setup. That photo isn't that great but still, it gives an idea.

Attachments

• IMG_20190722_210941573.jpg
    IMG_20190722_210941573.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 1,462
I’m not sure how to read the graphs, but if the light blue line (on tweeter page) is the filter applied, You are seriously stressing the hell out of that tweeter by boosting 10dB well under natural cutoff. If that is the case it looks like the xover frequency should be considerably higher such that the tweeter gets better operating conditions.
But I might be miss reading the chart ...

Ok, here's a possible fix. The blue line is the filter applied to the tweeter, crossover included. Post 59/60 have an overall view.

The first filter is with the current boost at 500hz (q=3, +10db). I can replace it by a gentler 675hz boost (q=1, +3db).

Would that seem more reasonable ?

Attachments

• 500-3-10.PNG
    500-3-10.PNG
    80.1 KB · Views: 235
  • 675-1-3.PNG
    675-1-3.PNG
    76.7 KB · Views: 222
Almost over now.

I measured the speakers this evening. I used HFD for the initial measurements and the crossover design and REW for the validation. I managed to invert the wiring of a woofer apparently... It's a good thing that a simple tick box allows me to clean that mistake without opening the box again.

The crossover is a LR4 at 1.7khz, after EQing the woofer and tweeter flat about one octave high/low.

The measurements were taken with the speaker at 2.15 height, the mic on axis about 75cm away, all walls at more than 3m. That should give me a relatively clean bass response up to 80hz. The three rew measurements are at 0°-25°-45° (obviously they're spaced away).

There is obviously a rise off axis between 6 and 10khz. I'll have to measure that again with the speakers in position and see how to mitigate that.

This speaker looks like a very good concept and not less impressive the implementation.

Excellent on- and off-axis response except the rise below 8kHz, this definitely would be visible (and audible ofc.) in the power response.

Ime it's worth to sacrifice some on-axis linearity to get a more linear power response. So first, i would try to disable the +3dB boost at 7700Hz, measure the on- and off-axis again, say in 5-6 steps and do a power average (if you can) from the curves. Try to get a more linear acoustic power average.

I don't know if this will improve the sound at that relatively short listening distance, but I think it's worth a try.

Regards!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.