Project Cerwin Vega

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys,

Trust you all are keeping well. After checking on several websites I was unable to come up with a solid solution and need your expert guidance.

I am a big fan of Cerwin Vega to the extent that I decided to sell my Klipsch and build my own home theatre 3 way front speakers! :)

I am using the following components:

Tweeter & Midrange
Cerwin Vega V465C
Sensitivity: 94 dB
4 Ohms
100W RMS
Frequency response 55Hz to 20,000Hz

Woofer
Cerwin Vega V84D
Sensitivity: 82 dB
4 Ohms
250W RMS
Frequency response 20Hz to 300Hz

The speakers sound good & 'alive', better than the Klipsch. Although I feel with a better crossover they can really sound brilliant. I went through three different crossover configurations:

1) Cerwin Vega supplied crossover for tweeter/midrange + Chinese crossover for woofer (the mid bass and tweeter sounded amazing but the woofer hardly moved, so no go)

2) A 3 way Chinese cross over (there was no 'life' in the sound and speaker seemed like they were covered with curtain, so again no go)

3) Now I am using Audiopipe 3 Way Crossover CRX-303 (sound is much better "like the curtain is lifted from the speakers" but similar to all situations the midrange and tweeters is way loud due to much higher sensitivity despite decreasing treble on my AV receiver by -8dBs)

I wanted to check with you experts on the following:

A) What are the parts needed to build a simple crossover that can compensate for different sensitivities with cut off of W: 30Hz to 300Hz M&T: 250Hz to 3kHz)?

B) Do you recommend using an L-pad to compensate for the higher sensitivity instead? Not sure about the quality of Audiopipe.

Would really appreciate some help and guidance.

Thank you,
Farid

Picture of the speaker

Here is a picture of the right channel

Attachments

• speaker.jpg
    speaker.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 339
All the issues are to be solved by using microphone based measurement equipment and producing basic frd's and zma's to be imported into a crossover simulator. The results are always great as long as one follows the rules. People find REW software, Umik1 measurement mic, and XSim crossover simulator easy to use.

You have asked for expert guidance. It includes measurements for I don't think CV provides any online. If you can persuade yourself to get a umik-1 microphone, that works with free REW software, I'll do the the filter simulating for you. We can also use any crossover parts that you have right now and mod these to suit our goals.

@Lojzek very well, your right if I'm gonna invest time might as well do it right. Plus the experience would be well worth it, will need your help though as you kindly offered in simulation. I have ordered the UMIK-1 from Amazon should be here by 22nd Dec as I live in Dubai.

@turk I first need to change my AV receiver while quite powerful it doesn't have pre-outs for adding an additional amp. I do plan to start hooking up Crown amps at later date when I move into a house - neighbors are quite pissed as it is with the CVA-115 subwoofer :)

I managed to find the small parameters of the subwoofer online in addition to the box size, not sure if they could be of any help as we are measuring each component from scratch for best cross over build up.

Attachments

• vega-sub-small-para.jpg
    vega-sub-small-para.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 166
  • sub-specifications.png
    sub-specifications.png
    595.3 KB · Views: 144
When your laptop is short of line/mic IN, use this to measure impedance

Did some testing of a 4 ohm speaker driver and the results were reasonably close to my vintage Clio measurement gear. The data could then be imported into a Response Modeler to have the phase data calculated and this information would have sufficed to serve as a template to model a new one from 20Hz-20 kHz.

Attachments

• Z.png
    Z.png
    51.4 KB · Views: 112
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.