Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

War of the 10" monster midbasses
War of the 10" monster midbasses
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th July 2019, 06:13 PM   #101
OscarS is offline OscarS  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleneuron View Post
The reason they say to keep the level that low for THD tests is to avoid introducing the mic distortions into the data set. The THD values for all drivers other than the recent Beyma are a compound of the driver and mic distortions, so cant really be trusted. Even though conditions were the same, the SPL at each frequency was not, so the distortion from the mic will vary at all frequencies across all drivers. If you can retest, that would be great!
good luck with that.

of course the spl was not the same at each frequency, no small box unfiltered alignment will have a flat frequency response to begin with. If they did, we would have so much fewer troubles as diy speaker builders, LOL.

Even the recent Beyma addition would also suffer slightly from such distortions as it was tested pretty much identically, as much as a simplistic test method will allow. So, I stand by my statement that they are all on the same level playing field. If you want more aaccurate measurements, feel free to take on an endeavor like this.
Old 19th July 2019, 06:17 PM   #102
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
Also some more damping material would be good to add because the distortion from the back wave that is reflecting back from the box and through the cone is not drivers fault.

And if the time is limited, it would be good just at least to test the tree best drivers to find the winner.
since you sponsored me a little bit, I will accommodate your request.

Please specify the following for the re-test of the Beyma 10MC700Nd (only):

How many oz of stuffing? (Currently is 8oz)
distance from Mic to speaker?
Drive level? (Vrms)
Old 21st July 2019, 08:28 PM   #103
diyAudio Member

Updated data, as per request of a DIY member who sent a pair of old school JBL 2012HPL 10" mids. Conditions were identical to the other set of measurements I had made, even if they were a bit flawed. The reason for this was for the sake of consistency so I could graph the data together with the rest with all of them on the same level playing field. As with the rest of the speakers, these are a bit "cleaner than the numbers indicate". No I will not re-test.

Frequency Response 2.83V @ 1m, both speakers. Pretty consistent across the board.

Click the image to open in full size.

Harmonic Distortion dB chart(s). All of these HD charts are with a sharp filter @ 4k to prevent the bump in the upper-midrange from overdriving the Omnimic prematurely so I could get the same SPL level out of the speaker @ 500Hz like I did with the other ones.

Unit #1

Unit #2

Harmonic Distortion Percentage Charts

Comparisons with my 10's.

Old 31st July 2019, 03:32 PM   #104
Machismo is offline Machismo  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarS View Post
since you sponsored me a little bit, I will accommodate your request.

Please specify the following for the re-test of the Beyma 10MC700Nd (only):

How many oz of stuffing? (Currently is 8oz)
distance from Mic to speaker?
Drive level? (Vrms)
Thanks. You can try to listening to music and then doubling(=16) the amount of stuffing, perhaps you hear the mid range area with more detail?

Distance that is the most commonly used is 0.5 meters.

Drive level should be something not to clip the mic in any circumstance, difficult to say what is the optimum in your case, just keep it in the safe side.
Old 1st August 2019, 02:51 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
Thanks. You can try to listening to music and then doubling(=16) the amount of stuffing, perhaps you hear the mid range area with more detail?

Distance that is the most commonly used is 0.5 meters.

Drive level should be something not to clip the mic in any circumstance, difficult to say what is the optimum in your case, just keep it in the safe side.

Will do.

The limit to the mic for the specific purpose of measuring THD is 120dB, so I will keep it to 115 dB for the new tests to stay on the safe side.

War of the 10" monster midbassesHide this!Advertise here!