New Project - TAD 2404 Clone

Marco,
I got your point regarding TH4003 + TD4003 combo and it's natural synergy. But let's say I want less directional sound. Would Arai 290 horn with vanes, bring noticeable degradation from diffraction? I believe it has wider coverage.
I have TD4003 but looking for good horn with 80-90 deg coverage. Do you know if Iwata is good profile for this driver?
Just looking at my options before putting down serious cash for a good horn.
thanks,
Herman

Marco,
I got your point regarding TH4003 + TD4003 combo and it's natural synergy. But let's say I want less directional sound. Would Arai 290 horn with vanes, bring noticeable degradation from diffraction? I believe it has wider coverage.
I have TD4003 but looking for good horn with 80-90 deg coverage. Do you know if Iwata is good profile for this driver?
Just looking at my options before putting down serious cash for a good horn.
thanks,
Herman

Hello,

the Arai A-290 would be a good match to the TD-4003 driver.
Yuichi even designed a dedicated adaptor for it - see attachment below.

W.r.t. the TH-4003, you'd be trading off improved horizontal coverage > 8kHz for some diffraction (induced by the vanes). But nothing dramatic, IMHO.

Marco.

Attachments

• A-290 adapter for TD-4003.jpg
    A-290 adapter for TD-4003.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 645
I own TAD 4003 and have heard it sound great on autotech JMLC.

I heard it at Christensen Leif and he and his mates compared it to CD, iwata, and radial. He prefers JMLC, with the CD you get better horizontal dispersion but less drama than JMLC, as per their research.

They didn't like iwata.

I personally haven't done any of these compares.

@ richluvsound do you have any detailed photos of your build? Where did you find the plans for your clone? I'm looking for the specs in order to build an optimized woofer cabinet for my 1601a woofs.

marco_gea If you have any detailed plans I would love to see them.

Thanks to you both for all of the info!

Thanks for your reply planet10. I'll be interested to learn of their impressions when finished. What is your opinion of the Yuchi A290 vs. the TAD asymmetrical upper and lower "lips" (APAXIAL design)? Finally, how important do you think the Helmotz resonator is that TAD designed into the upper lip?

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
No idea. If i was doing a horn for HF i think i would look to one of the Le Cleche horns.

I have yet to hear a system with horns up top that floats my boat, but some of today’s are probably a lot better than any i have encountered.

The people who got me to design this 1601 monster miniOnken plan to use it as demo kit as they promote their DD TT.

dave

dave

Larry, I've been looking for a while. Seems like information is scarce on these things and also Augspurgers. On a long shot I sent an email to Kinoshita san in Japan but never heard back. If you are successful in finding anything out I'd like to know.

This is the only thing I've found. All it provides is outer dimensions. It doesn't show the internal bracing.

Attachments

• model2402(3).JPG
    model2402(3).JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 533
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I wanted to use Jbl 2235

Different woofer will very likely need a different box.

JBL 2235H (is that the same one?) on a quick look would fit a 100 litre monster minOnken some 3/4ths the size of the same alignment with the TAD.

I am working (slowly as i am these days) on fitting his TAD into the box he has.

dave

Halo Everyone,

I have finished my system using TAD 4003 with Scanspeak ellipticor for midrange (photo attached).

My next goal is to use all TAD drivers.

I want to make clone 2404 with TAD 4003 (/w original horn replica) and TAD 1601b. I will put the horn in top of the woofer cabinet not inside.

Crossover will be active in DSP. 1601b: 50hz - 650hz, TAD 4003: 650hz -20khz. 10hz -60hz: separate subwoofer.

Can someone help me with the woofer cabinet inner size after bracing and glasswool material? Also port hole and length. I dont know how to calculate them. Please can you help?

Last question : will power amp of 140watt@8ohm enough to drive 1601b?

Thank you so much!

Best,
Daniel

Attachments

• 20200511_185125_resized.jpg
    20200511_185125_resized.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 387
  • 20200511_185132_resized.jpg
    20200511_185132_resized.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 385
At 97.5 dB efficiency 140 watts will be more than you need, unless you are using it in a huge room!

Also, glass fiber insulation is not only unpleasant to work with it is downright dangerous if you inhale the fibers. Do a search and you'll find posts recommending recycled cotton fiber batting as an alternative.

Did you make that horn? If so, it's a great replica!