midrange??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Really, you moderators could learn to relax a bit! It really isn't the original poster's fault that Tapatalk is a self-advertising piece of software. :D

I live with the World the way it is. :cool:

Back to the subject of puny midrange drivers. Here's the correct theory about how they work, and I really don't care about the exact frequencies employed:

589751d1483545966-help-first-crossover-design-3-way-eton-speakers-aequal4_steen_duelund_filter.jpg

See, by sparing a midrange driver of low frequencies, you reduce distortion in the all-important voices range. By sparing it high frequency duties, it has less cone-breakup, so again sounds nicer.

619544d1496544147-midrange-wharfedale-e-70.jpg

This classic Wharfedale E70 design actually has TWO series-wired midranges. This is terrifically clever, because each midrange is working at 1/4 power, but still gives the right full power due to the +6dB magic of twin driver reinforcement, so less non-linear excursion related distortion. Because as we all should know, the more a driver moves, the more it distorts.

TBH, I'm getting too old to waste time these days. But don't let me stop you. :eek:

BTW, here's what happens to power handling with a weak midrange. See the problem?

Attachments

• Midrange Power Handling.JPG
    Midrange Power Handling.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
Eton is good in making speakers but not great..

Actually Eton makes some stuff that subjectively is excellent or "great" (..it's just the objective performance in the non-linear dept. where it falls well short).

Some of my favorite lower midrange and upper bass was from designs with their 11" honyecomb driver. (..I find it not only has high clarity, but also a good bit of tone - a rare combination and something you won't find from Accuton.. where you'll get high clarity but not tone.)

Though I've not heard their small honecomb mid.s, Troels recently praised their driver as "state of the art transparency" (and while he very much liked the SS 10F (as an example), he didn't refer to it in that respect):

SS-3WC-C-Eton-4-300-25Hex

Similar driver:

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...-4-212/c8/25-hex-symphony-ii-4-bass-midrange/

Actually Eton makes some stuff that subjectively is excellent or "great" (..it's just the objective performance in the non-linear dept. where it falls well short)...

Can we agree that we can't quantify subjective opinions ? There are too many loudspeakers out there (DIY and commercial) that many people praise, but that doesn't sound good to me. I'm sure you ran into few yourself.

...Some of my favorite lower midrange and upper bass was from designs with their 11" honyecomb driver. (..I find it not only has high clarity, but also a good bit of tone - a rare combination and something you won't find from Accuton.. where you'll get high clarity but not tone.)...

And i do believe you that you liked Eton more than Accuton - De gustibus non est disputandum. I haven't had the opportunity to compare similar constructions based on Eton and Accuton drivers, in the same system, side by side. That would have been a unique experience.

...Though I've not heard their small honecomb mid.s, Troels recently praised their driver as "state of the art transparency" (and while he very much liked the SS 10F (as an example), he didn't refer to it in that respect):

SS-3WC-C-Eton-4-300-25Hex

Similar driver:

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...-4-212/c8/25-hex-symphony-ii-4-bass-midrange/

I'm sorry but i don't actually care too much what Troels wrote about tonality or musicality of any driver he used or listened because his comments are highly biased and dependent on circumstances. There are few guys whose objective opinions i choose to take under consideration, but they are not part of the HiFi business machinery and are very knowledgeable.

Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Wouldn't 2 stacked mid drivers make the vertical dispersion much narrower?

I think Tapatalk just inserts its own adverts. Not the fault of the mobile poster.

..........Here's a stunningly good idea. Double them up and wire them in series. The laws of physics then run each midrange at a 1/4 of the power for the same equivalent level. So less distortion.

Two great classic speakers below. See, two tiny midranges. It also helps keep impedance up. Win-win! :cool:

It isn't the fault of the poster the Tapatalk adverts appear but they can be turned off and we are asking people to do so.

Last edited:
Wouldn't 2 stacked mid drivers make the vertical dispersion much narrower?

It isn't the fault of the poster the Tapatalk adverts appear but they can be turned off and we are asking people to do so.
Of course, stacked mid drivers narrow vertical dispersion. But think about this. At 3kHz, a half wavelength is about 5cms. So stacked midranges aren't a complete disaster. Accords with a flat vertical dispersion of about 20-30 degrees before things turn to rubbish.

Which means that you and I listening in the far field hear a pretty good sound:

619543d1496544147-midrange-celestion_ditton_25.jpg

You did know we trade things off in the real World, didn't you? It's the laws of physics. There is no such thing as a perfect speaker. But I admire low distortion. :cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.