Tweeter Hiquphon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I haven't heard them but imho Hiquphon tweeters appear to be among the very very best. If you don't need a tweeter to go lower than the recommended 2.5khz I doubt you can do better.

I don't know if any other tweeter that is +\- .5db from 2khz to 20khz other than the Hiquphon OW1. The off axis response of the OW1 in incredible, their CSD is extremely extremely clean, and they come in matched pairs. I hate to be that guy who judges speakers or drivers purely off their specs- but hey there are measurable things that have shown to be audibly preferable in blind tests. This tweeter does it better than anything else that I know of.

dispersionowi.png

On the subjective side, I haven't read a single unfavorable review. Paul Carmody sure seems to like them too.

https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/carrera

I haven't heard them but imho Hiquphon tweeters appear to be among the very very best. If you don't need a tweeter to go lower than the recommended 2.5khz I doubt you can do better.

I don't know if any other tweeter that is +\- .5db from 2khz to 20khz other than the Hiquphon OW1. The off axis response of the OW1 in incredible, their CSD is extremely extremely clean, and they come in matched pairs. I hate to be that guy who judges speakers or drivers purely off their specs- but hey there are measurable things that have shown to be audibly preferable in blind tests. This tweeter does it better than anything else that I know of.

dispersionowi.png

On the subjective side, I haven't read a single unfavorable review. Paul Carmody sure seems to like them too.

https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/carrera

Yes agree. Having used the OW1 OW4 in several designs. These tweeters are by far some of the smoothest tweeters to listen to and easy to design with. 😎

I think you nailed the reason. The incredible off axis response can be a detriment is there are projections to create diffraction. You don't see it with the Morel due to the waveguide. I recommend a thick felt ring around the OW1, preferably with a star shaped opening. Even a washcloth just for testing purposes.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I will experiment and report back
this is what others did
sure, extremely wide projection creates this, on the other hand its matching midrange projection into the room
I like what I hear so far, do not take me wrong

Attachments

• ring.jpg
    ring.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 255
  • ring2.jpg
    ring2.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 179
  • MainSpkrSurr.jpg
    MainSpkrSurr.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 189
  • P1010100.jpg
    P1010100.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 189
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Oh I just realized the tweeters are surface mounted as well. I thought you had flush mounted the tweeter and surface mounted the mids (that's my setup). In my case it is because with the semi horn loaded tweeter that is very close to time aligned. I always planned to add felt like shown above but never got around to it.

Even seemingly small lips will create diffraction effects I'd definitely flush mount the tweeters, and measure again. Even just make up a baffle with just the tweeter cutout on it use the same chamfering (but no mid cutouts) and first measure surface mounted, then flush mounted. It will also give you an idea what effect the mids are having on tweeter diffraction.

Tony.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.