B&W DM6 re-capping

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I decided to recap my B&W DM6's and have all the new caps installed- but Houston; there is a problem.
There was a contour control & the speakers were fused, I bypassed those & only got sound from the tweeter. I thought if I completed the circuit by soldering a wire from the posts that went to the contour to the pos for the corresponding speaker that I would get sound- no luck!!!
I have attached a diagram of the crossover to see if anyone can help?
There are several post on the web about recapping these speakers, but I could not find one that addressed the problem I am having.
My drivers are all in good working order, the boxes are in great shape and these classic "pregnant penguins" deserve a face lift!!!
I have photos of the work I did if that will help at all- let me know and I will post them.
Thanks, Nut

Attachments

• BWDM6.jpg
    BWDM6.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 502
Last edited:
Just to be sure, here are the photos of what I have done thus far.
this is the top view that shows most caps were replaced with Mundorf and all of the caps were bypassed. The second photo shows the posts that go to the speaker terminals and how I ran wire from the posts that went to the tone control/fuses to the pos on the speakers.

Attachments

• Re-cap-1.jpg
    Re-cap-1.jpg
    674.3 KB · Views: 582
  • Re-cap-2.jpg
    Re-cap-2.jpg
    424.7 KB · Views: 278
It should be the same as completing a circuit, the pos goes to the fuse and has to return to make a connection- is that the way you see it or is there something else?
First it was hooked up without the posts being in the loop, no mid or bass... then with and no mid or bass.
Amp is OK, drivers are OK

Here is the bottom of the board- it looks like the wires from the contour supply power to the mid and low drivers. The path of the two wires that came from them are highlighted in pink. The Hot posts have a red square around them- see that only the tweeter is directly connected to the Pos (+) coming in. All of the negatives have their own posts.
I would think that if I connected the posts that were for the contour that it should work?

Attachments

• Re-cap-4.jpg
    Re-cap-4.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 265
Can some one please explain the bass section of the contour control? As I read the schematic, there is an auto-former with multiple taps. One of those three taps will be shorted to ground?? I'm clearly missing something about it. :)

Thanks,

Erik

You're basically shifting the "turns ratio" between input and output of the autoformer, thus shifting the input voltage to the bass network. If you redraw it as a transformer, the switch is in effect moving some of the windings from the primary side to the secondary side and vice versa.

Last edited:
I never would have figured this out, and some pros had a rough time with it. BTW- between the new caps and the upgraded wire, the speakers sound TERRIFIC!
Here is what was done to compensate for the tone controls/fuses:

Attachments

• crossover mod.JPG
    crossover mod.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.