Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Piezo VS voice coil tweeters
Piezo VS voice coil tweeters
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th February 2016, 04:15 PM   #71
Fast Eddie D is offline Fast Eddie D  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midrange View Post
An Lpad, variable or not, is already a series resistor and a parallel resistor, and the tip of using an additional parallel resistor after the Lpad has the advantage that one is working with a known 8 ohm load, rather than one that is "variable with frequency".
Exactly.

You can dispense with the L-pad and just use series and parallel resistors if you are confident in your design. L-pad + 8 ohm resistor in parallel with the piezo tweeter works great though, and will give correct rolloff with a basically off the shelf crossover.

It's not hard to understand why this smooths out the response. And many "cookbook" speaker builders probably don't understand that piezo tweeters simply don't work with off the shelf crossovers without adjustments. You could say the same about a lot of conventional drivers too, to a lesser degree perhaps.
Old 18th March 2016, 02:34 PM   #72
Fidelius is offline Fidelius  Italy
diyAudio Member

Well, all this is useful and interesting. I'm looking to marry a KSN1016A with 2 x 6" full range speakers in what will probably be a TQWP cabinet. I see there is no getting away from the need of a proper crossover, and the hints on taming the peaks in the piezo response will be considered. Let you all know how it turns out, if we live long enough ...
Old 19th March 2016, 10:40 PM   #73
Sonce is offline Sonce  Macedonia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelius View Post
I'm looking to build a low wattage, high efficiency system, and a piezo tweeter simplifies my design. My main concern is the difficulty in finding one with anywhere near a flat response to 20KHz.
KSN1176A and KSN1036A from PiezoSource Piezoelectric Speakers might be the right candidates:
http://69.64.35.188/piezo/files/KSN-1177A-Datasheet.pdf
http://69.64.35.188/piezo/files/KSN-...-Datasheet.pdf
Graphs seems to be heavily smoothed, though.

Last edited by Sonce; 19th March 2016 at 10:57 PM.
Old 20th March 2016, 05:10 AM   #74
peteleoni is offline peteleoni  United States
diyAudio Member

Oh come on. If someone wanted to do it piezos would be the ideal supertweeter. The truth is a lot of money was made by mass producing them quickly and cheaply, so they are overlooked. They are about half designed and still have enormous potential for supertweeter use probably using Danley coupling tech, yes HORN loading multiples.
Old 25th May 2016, 02:51 AM   #75
juliopr is offline juliopr  Puerto Rico
diyAudio Member

Which behaviour will I expect from a piezo compression driver using active Xover? Do I still need to use passive components to work it around?
Old 25th May 2016, 03:39 AM   #76
Jsixis is offline Jsixis  United States
diyAudio Member

Motorola made some fine tweeters, the "replacements" not so much.
I took a Toa tweeter horn apart and they glued the paper of a piezo down like a speaker and it made a huge difference. Most likely due to the woofer not shaking the whole tweeter cone. I did that to a pair of older motorola's and they did sound much clearer but it was extremely hard since the wire is so fine soldering is almost impossible.

On the PA monitor speakers I make I use a 6 ohm 3 watt resistor in line with an 1157 automotive light bulb. I solder across both terminals, then use a capacitor for my crossover frequency (usually aim for 3k-5k depending on woofer since 2k is a squeal frequency in live music) People love them and they don't burn out.
Never had any luck with the 8 ohm resistor, they always broke no matter how I mounted them or burned up. Nothing is harder on gear then musicians.
Old 29th May 2016, 10:35 PM   #77
dogshome is offline dogshome  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Active crossover on piezos?

Hmm. You may need a series resistor unless using powerline Motorola or CTS units as piezos exhibit falling impedance with frequency. Powerline have series impedance in the form of a light bulb and PTC already.

Don't use anything except genuine Motorola or CTS units. Everything else is garbage.
Old 30th May 2016, 03:55 AM   #78
diyAudio Member

Hello. What will be the best way to work with a pair of KSN-1188 using active crossover like DBX Driverack? which parts do I still need to hook up to them? I also already have 100w audio pots... can I use them?
Old 30th May 2016, 08:29 AM   #79
Fidelius is offline Fidelius  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default KSN-1188 with active crossover

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliopr View Post
Hello. What will be the best way to work with a pair of KSN-1188 using active crossover like DBX Driverack? which parts do I still need to hook up to them? I also already have 100w audio pots... can I use them?
The beauty of using active crossovers is that the speakers can be coupled directly to the output of an amplifier, if the amplifier input is tailored to the driver response. The KSN-1188 go down to 500 Hz, but looking at the graph response I would not push them below 2 KHz.
There seems to be some consensus that wiring a high-wattage 8 ohm resistor in parallel with the drivers will smooth their response.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg horn response.jpg (69.3 KB, 199 views)
Old 30th May 2016, 11:26 AM   #80
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogshome View Post
Active crossover on piezos?

Hmm. You may need a series resistor unless using powerline Motorola or CTS units as piezos exhibit falling impedance with frequency. Powerline have series impedance in the form of a light bulb and PTC already.

Don't use anything except genuine Motorola or CTS units. Everything else is garbage.
I got these:
GRS PZ1188 Piezo Horn Driver Similar to KSN1188A
GRS claim these are the exact replica and specs from the CTS but with a larger ceramic disc. I open it up and saw some sort of small cap or resistor soldered inside...

Piezo VS voice coil tweetersHide this!Advertise here!