Scan Mini Monitor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yeah, you've got some serious cone edge breakup modes there. You also have a significant bump up in response at 600 hz to deal with. Good luck with that one. That Seas woofers looks like a good candidate for a 3 way where a 2nd or 3rd order LP filter is used to start rolling off around 500 hz.

I think for nearfield listening (i.e. desktop) a paper cone would be more desirable from the standpoint of lifelike vocals.
That bump isn't as significant as the graph would suggest. It looks worse than it really is due to Seas's measurement method. I wish they would use an infinite baffle.

They work brilliantly in a sealed alignment. Have a search over on PFM for Ergo IX, they've garnered quite a following.

Stefan

At the risk of posting a link that may be proprietary, this is very close to what I want to do. Albeit in a smaller box. His front panel is 12" x 7.5". Mine would be 11" x 7". I wounder how much that would change the crossover or at the least the BSC? I have used a few Morel tweeters in the past but not this one.

Ergo IX: Photo Images by James Jong Photography - photo.net

Thanks for the info Stefan.

I also modeled a cap as suggested by Uwe and it may be a workable solution. But as Speakerdoctor has stated, the hump may not be as bad as it looks.

It's not proprietary, the designer James is happy for folk to build it and report back on PFM if they are so inclined. I have made quite a few kits and finished speakers for folk based on this speaker and it is one I spend quite a lot of time listening to myself, I could quite easily live with it every day.

Those baffle changes wouldn't really change the baffle step much TBH. There are two versions of the XO one for UK where we have smaller rooms which works right against the wall if needed and one for larger rooms, only the baffle step is different really.

The genius of the tweeter is that while not the last word in tweeter tech it's acoustic centre does line up with that of the woofer which makes the phase alignment on the two nigh on perfect without forcing phase rotation into the filters and allows the use of simple ones.

Best 2 way I ever heard.

Your measurements do indeed paint a different picture. See images. The f3 changes a bit but the real issue is the change in the db bump. The bump is now large enough to be worrisome IMO. If I change the internal volume to 8 liters the model looks much better. Evan better than the published driver specs. Unfortunately, the 8 liters is outside the size constraint I set for the satellite size. I set the size limit @ 6 liters internal (remember when calculating net for 6 liters you really only have about 5) because I want to be able to use the speaker on my desktop as well as other places. I realistically don't see a desktop speaker being any larger than 6 liters. Evan @ 6 liters that is rather large for a desktop application.

So my quest continues. I really want to use a Scan-Speak driver for this project because I have never used a Scan before. I have other options but my search continues. I will keep you posted as I make progress.

Can an acoustic suspension speaker be designed that will reach down to 65Hz accurately (without DSP) in a 6 liter internal volume box and still be high fidelity? I will be sure to find out.

Thank you for your input SD. And your Intimates are a very nice looking speaker.

My last words of advice on this thread are don't get too hung up on the bass issue. Remember, you stated a sub would also be utilized. Focus on getting the best midrange you can get and that SS rev. 15W WILL give it to you in spades without a fancy crossover.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.