New Celestion "AxiPeriodic Driver"

FWIW (taken from audioXpress):

As Celestion engineers explain, the company created a bespoke horn specifically designed to work with and optimize the wide bandwidth performance of the Axi2050. The uniquely designed “Big Red Horn” that appears at Prolight+Sound 2019 has been constructed using a distinctive fibreglass compound in Celestion red (other colors are available!) — features a 2-inch throat exit with a 90x45 degree radiation pattern and 400Hz cut-off frequency.

“Celestion are displaying our “Big Red Horn” with the Axi2050 at our stand at Prolight+Sound, as testament to our horn design capabilities,” explains Managing Director Nigel Wood. “Having personnel experienced in horn design on our team, and developing software to augment this capability still further; we have the know-how to offer in-depth technical support for horn and waveguide design to our OEM partners.”

Attachments

• Celestion-HornP4032488Web.png
    Celestion-HornP4032488Web.png
    722.2 KB · Views: 691
  • CelestionAxiHorn-1FrontWeb.png
    CelestionAxiHorn-1FrontWeb.png
    482.1 KB · Views: 673
FWIW (taken from audioXpress):

As Celestion engineers explain, the company created a bespoke horn specifically designed to work with and optimize the wide bandwidth performance of the Axi2050. The uniquely designed “Big Red Horn” that appears at Prolight+Sound 2019 has been constructed using a distinctive fibreglass compound in Celestion red (other colors are available!) — features a 2-inch throat exit with a 90x45 degree radiation pattern and 400Hz cut-off frequency.

“Celestion are displaying our “Big Red Horn” with the Axi2050 at our stand at Prolight+Sound, as testament to our horn design capabilities,” explains Managing Director Nigel Wood. “Having personnel experienced in horn design on our team, and developing software to augment this capability still further; we have the know-how to offer in-depth technical support for horn and waveguide design to our OEM partners.”

Very surprising to see such a large new design. But it seems that as usual directivity is the major design goal. The pictures look like a very pronounced diffration zone. This reminds me very much to the Selenium 90x40 horn which has a similar zone and cut-off.
20180801_192657-1.jpg

Not my cup of tea.

That Faital looks reeeeeeally nice, at least in the upper part of its frequency range. OTOH the HF 146 that I currently use seems to be better at the low end, although specified for 0.9 kHz xover, while the new one is specified for 0.7khz xover frequency. But the HF146 has more Vd than the HF 1440 (although the higher compression Ratio of the new one will compensate for this to some degree).
But all in all a very nice part, I wonder how much it will cost.

Regards

Charles

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
The HF 200 (2") is also listed with a minimum x-over of 900 and there are speakers which xo them lower (650-700).

The Faital HF 1440 looks amazing on the datasheet. The ketone diaphragm might sound more pleasing than the titan of the Celestion while titan membranes are often more detailed but that's not always the case. I like ie the CDX1-1747 very much which got a Polyimide diaphragm and is very detailed with very high resolution.

Though, the important question will be, how much will it cost and will it be available for DIY?

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
We Do not know what horn was used during the measurements and what kind of smoothing was applied. A datasheet should contain such Infos.

Most datasheets do not contain these infos (smoothing, measurement enviroment, even if they should). The used horn should be mandatory though.
But you can tell by the remaining 'squigglyness' between 900-5kHz of the plot there wasn't heavy smoothing involved.

First is FH-JMLC 80Hz corner horn calculated by JMLC for 160mm throat.
Second is Dr. Keele style CD-JMLC 400Hz horn (rather for CNC wood or 3D print only).
Third is 2" OS-JMLC hybrid.

I'm thinking about MLTL Eminence 3012CX or unity variant. Hoping folks from ABEC thread could help. Could be also something like dual OB horn or Bipole (rear tweeter delayed) - like Manger Diskus but waveguided.