my humble lxmini homage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I received a miniDSP 2x4 for Christmas and figured I would take a stab at something like the lxmini. I found this site https://sites.google.com/site/cdenneler/home/lxc which had great directions on construction and even had a settings file for the miniDSP.

For the drivers I used the Vifa TC9FD18-08 3.5" full range driver. I had these for some open baffle speakers that I have been experimenting with.
For the mid bass I used the Aurum Cantus, AC130F1, 5.25" Poly Cone mid woofer. I have these on hand for a pair of Jeff Bagby Continuum monitors.

I understand that these are not the original drivers for the SL lxmini. I hope to purchase that kit soon as I have been very impressed so far with mine.

The wooden shelf I found at one of the big crafts stores. The other little screws and parts I found at my local ACE hardware.

My initial impressions are very positive. These have a huge sweetspot and soundstage. They are very airy in the mids and highs. The bass has punch and depth although I am not sure if I have the correct amount/density of stuffing.

Anyway, as I learn more about how to use the miniDSP I am going to play around with the EQ and crossover features.

Here are a few pics.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20160102_090453.jpg
    20160102_090453.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 729
  • 20160102_113004.jpg
    20160102_113004.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 731
  • 20160102_090429.jpg
    20160102_090429.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 710
  • 20160104_064257.jpg
    20160104_064257.jpg
    891 KB · Views: 689
  • 20160104_064324.jpg
    20160104_064324.jpg
    772.2 KB · Views: 669
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Great work and a great result I imagine. You have there perhaps two of the smoothest wide band drivers available. They can be crossed almost anywhere. The TC9FD is 85dB sensitive and the AC130F1 is about 87dB so after -6dB baffle step you will take a hit to overall sensitivity of 81dB. The TC9 probably had to be reduced -4dB is my guess. The AC130F1 likes a lot more rear chamber volume if you want to reduce disortion in it. Something about the motor design doesn't like to be in small volumes for bass below 120Hz.

Nice job!

:cheers:

wendeltate,

Smart project! The joy of DIY.

For the mid bass pipe (the cabinet in for this design), did you do any calculations for volume and line length for a desired low frequency tuning?

Hi,
I am not sure that I am smart enough to do those volume calculations. LOL. I would not know where to start. I simply cut each 4" piece to 33" in length. This was the length that I had seen mentioned in a couple of threads. It puts the entire speaker height at 38"-39". I have also been experimenting on the amount/density of the stuffing in the 4" tube to see how that affects the bass.

I am going to try to spend some time this weekend getting to know more about the miniDSP and how to fine tune it for my specific drivers and room.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Zman01,
If that is schedule 40pvc in 4in size it's 4.0in ID x33in long for 6.7 liters. In my experience, this is a little undersized for this driver and it has a lot of noise below 120Hz when run in high compression systems. Shows up as HD on all orders when measured. This was for a slightly smaller 5.5 liter box. I am not sure what the cause it but I tried 3 units and two exhibit this and one was quieter by half. In a BR box of in OB it goes away. I think 5in PVC at 10.6 liters would be a much more ideal volume.

But if it works for him at 6.7 liters, yes that is lucky.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
No just talking about the OP's 33in tall sealed cabinet. If made out of 4in dia, can be improved by going to 5in dia which gives about 10.8liters.

The TS is quite different than specs so modeling based on specs won't be right either. It's. Wonderfully smooth flat driver. Don't get me wrong and it sounds great in a large enough box. But it's not 0.29 Qts. Let me dig up actual TS if you are interested.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
First let me clarify what dia pipe is your design and SL design? 4 in sch 40 PVC?

Which SEAS driver does SL use? It may be a non issue with Seas driver as it might take to being in sealed chamber smaller than Vas. That's not uncommon just nice to have to allow woofer to reach its lowest frequency easily.

It makes me wonder what the HD is in a Continuum with I think about 6.5 liter cabinet.

Hi all. I replaced the Aurum Cantus 5.25" with a Dayton Reference 6" with an aluminum cone. This woofer seems to work much better. It goes a bit lower and didn't have the same distortion that I was hearing from the Aurum Cantus. I have settled in with a crossover point of 1250 and am going to listen for a while and let the woofer break in. I must say that these speakers are going to be spectacular. They throw a huge Soundstage and reveal detail and nuance like no speaker I have ever heard.
Both of these drivers are on sale at PE right now. The Vifa is $9 and the Dayton is $30. I just can't imagine how you could do better for 10x the money.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.