Ideas about Tri-amped system Beyma and 18 Sound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I guess he is going to import them. There is too much efford to import something in this country. Unless you have a lot of patience, money and influence. Otherwise the package never arrives. Anyway i already have the speakers and planing on getting a bigger amp for the 18s before buying another speakers but thanks for the info. I will try to locate him to exchange experiences.

I believe LewinskiH01 also lives in Argentina and is planning to purchase a few Beyma speakers including the TPL-150H and 12P80Nd. You might want to make email contact.

LineSource: You beat me to the post! :D
I was out and saw this thread only today.

Hey runaway! I live in Bs As. Where do you live? We should get in touch.
You are certainly right about imports here. I am very, very patient. The local Beyma dealer is able to import on special orders too, but need to wait for their shipments.
So far I know I will use a TPL-150H on top and two 12" subs at the bottom, with an active system. I still haven't decided in the middle: one 12p80nd (V1 or V2) from 80 to 1800Hz, or a 12p80nd as midrange and another 12" as midbass, or 12p80nd as midbass and smaller (6 - 8") midrange. It will take many months to get completed, though.

Saludos!

If DSP is available, I'd go for a small ported box on the midbass, with ports tuned to maximise power handling towards the crossover point.

I use an 85Hz tuning on my 12" tops, which gives a really big bump around 100Hz. If I set the crossover to 120Hz high-pass, the bump pushes the acoustic crossover down to around 90Hz.
The advantage is that I'm not using much power between 90 and 120Hz, but still getting lots of output - the port is doing all the work.

If you'll always be using subs, this is the way to do it IMO.

I'd also avoid sealed boxes unless you have some way to ventilate the magnets. Heat is your enemy.

Chris

If DSP is available, I'd go for a small ported box on the midbass, with ports tuned to maximise power handling towards the crossover point.

I use an 85Hz tuning on my 12" tops, which gives a really big bump around 100Hz. If I set the crossover to 120Hz high-pass, the bump pushes the acoustic crossover down to around 90Hz.
The advantage is that I'm not using much power between 90 and 120Hz, but still getting lots of output - the port is doing all the work.

If you'll always be using subs, this is the way to do it IMO.

I'd also avoid sealed boxes unless you have some way to ventilate the magnets. Heat is your enemy.

Chris

Hello Chris. Not sure if your message was for ranaway or for me, yet part of my answer is likely valid for both.

In my case DSP is available. However, ported designs are generally regarded as slower, which is something I want to avoid.

Heat is our enemy, true, but we also need to put it into perspective. We are considering professional PA drivers that are not going to be driven hard at all so I don't think ventilation would be an issue. For example, the 12p80nd I'm considering has a 4 inch coil and is rated for 700W AES and has a sensitivity of 101 dB/W. I seriously doubt I'll ever put more that continuous 5W through it. Looks safe to me!

Hi,

The first post says this will be for party use, where power levels can get quite abusive. In that case, the extra ventilation and SPL given by a ported box is worth having IMO - no point in building a nice-sounding system if it'll melt two tracks in.

In your case, sealed boxes will work fine - the drivers will never be close to stressed, as you say.

Chris

Chris. I get you point but in this case I agree with Lewinsky, in the first post I say that the main use will be my main system so sq is my first goal. I already have a "very noisy" system for bigger gigs, this one will be used to cover private parties for about 100-150 people with a max spl of about 120db. In the case of the mids they are 100db/w so they will be in the 100-150w region with limited bandwith (190-1800 hz) and within 70% xmax (1.4mm). This speakers ar rated at 450w aes so I think this will be a good margin. Not to mention that in this case they are designed for horn loaded systems where most of the time the back of the driver is in a very tiny and stuffed closed box.
Thanks for you opinions. I appreciate all of them.

Last edited:
..... just like the Queen song...
I want it all
I want it all
I want it all.....and I want it now!

With DSP crossovers .... You CAN have it all....
The T/S parameters on large diameter low-Qts midbass drivers often allow one modest box volume that can support both a well-tuned ported alignment, and adjustable Qtc between 0.5 to 0.7 sealed alignment with a port plug. Different size/depth port plugs can be built to reduce the interior volume to tune sealed Qtc between 0.5 to 0.7. It is desirable to have the port resonant frequency above the crossover, and this requires a modest diameter port, but the high'ish crossover frequencies used on midbass(~100Hz) typically generate modest port air speeds even in modest diamater ports.

Listen all you people, come gather round
I gotta get me a game plan, gotta shake you to the ground
But just give me, huh, what I know is mine
People do you hear me, just gimme the sign
It ain't much I'm asking, if you want the truth
Here's to the future for the dreams of youth
I want it all
I want it all
I want it all.....and I want it now!

Attachments

• Sealed x Ported  12P80Nd.JPG
    Sealed x Ported 12P80Nd.JPG
    315.6 KB · Views: 95
The Smiths said "The Queen is dead..."
No complications here. Sealed midbass is my best choice. No much gain with vented enclosure because of the low xmax (2mm)
Wit. A qts of 0.707 I have a -3db of 194 hz. With a 2nd order Butterworth at 194 hz I have a l-r crossover at this freq.
A little high for my taste but is the best compromise with this midbass driver. The high cross will be al 1.8k active and corrections will be made on the go by ear and RTA.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.