Ideas about Tri-amped system Beyma and 18 Sound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Help on Tri-amped system Beyma and 18Sound

Hello people this is my first post, Im from Argentina so sorry for my english.
I have the folowing parts so Im looking for advice about the enclosures and/or crossover points, etc.

High: Beyma SMC8060
Mid: Beyma 12MI100
Low: 18 Sound 18LW1400

Processor: Peavey VSX26

Amps:3 Pro amps
High: Mosfet 150W/ch
Mid: Mosfet 300W/ch
Low: Class G 600W/ch

I have to build the eclosures but not yet decided.
The use will be most my main setup at home and second as a premium setup for private parties I atend at.
I have a decent equipment for DJing but in some cases more quality is required so it has to be somehow portable.

Well thanks in advance. Any opinion will be welcomed.

Last edited:
Accorrding to the Beyma website, the 12MI100 has a Xmax = 2mm, and therefore limited max SPL. Woofers with the 12MI100 T/S prameters are often used with horn loading.

I would favor a 12" midbass with Xmax of 5mm or greater to insure low distortion on high SPL transients. A 12" midbass that can match the max SPL of the horn tweeter and 18" woofer, and not just have a high db/watt efficiency.

Thanks for the reply LineSource. I modeled the recommended enclosure with WinISD Pro and gave me a 3mm excursion at 150 hz and 2mm excursion at 100 hz with rated power (450w). with 300w it has0.5mm less excursion. I was thinking to cross them at 120hz 24db LR with the 30l 94hz enclosure and start driving the 18Sound from there down. This midbass is the best I could get in my country. I already have a pair so I cant get other model.

Hmm, definitely sounds like a Daniel Hertz M1..

I'd probably put the 12" in a smaller interior cabinet to get a steeper acoustic roll-off and a bit more pressure in the lower mid.s (sealed). high-pass shouldn't be necessary unless you want a lot of headroom (..or are using it for sound reinforcement or RAVE's).

18" should be cross'ed to coincided with baffle pressure loss and freq. response of the 12" on baffle (and in the smaller volume cabinet within the larger cabinet). My guess is 22 inch width baffle with a low-pass near 100 Hz for the 18".

The top-end? Probably something close to 1.4 kHz (net).

Attachments

• a9b36ef969f7894a7a7d7dda09e9132f.jpg
    a9b36ef969f7894a7a7d7dda09e9132f.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 282
I'd probably put the 12" in a smaller interior cabinet to get a steeper acoustic roll-off and a bit more pressure in the lower mid.s (sealed). high-pass shouldn't be necessary unless you want a lot of headroom (..or are using it for sound reinforcement or RAVE's).

Why not go for a Qtc of 0.707 and use a 2nd oder high pass with the same pole frequency (185 Hz approx if the TSP are correct) and Q in oder to get the highpass function of an LR 4 ? I quess it would be loud enough before x-max for loud home listening and small parties.

Regards

Charles

Why not go for a Qtc of 0.707 and use a 2nd oder high pass with the same pole frequency (185 Hz approx if the TSP are correct) and Q in oder to get the highpass function of an LR 4 ? I quess it would be loud enough before x-max for loud home listening and small parties.

Regards

Charles

As long as it "gels" with the baffle and the intended low-pass for the 18". :)

Thank you all for taking your time to reply, I was modeling the options you made y came to this config:
7L sealed enclosure for the mid-bass and the recommended 180L 35hz for the woofer
Here are two captures from WinIsd Pro
First the volume and the SPL Figures at 300W for the midbass and 600W for the wofer (midbass still 1,3 db louder)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Second the Xmax Figures (1,49mm for the midbass at 190hz) and crossover points.

I wonder how could I manage to raise this 1,3 db difference. With 800W to the woofer the responses evens but the Xmax figure for the woofer raises to 9,7mm at 50 hz with high pass at 30 hz to avoid the 26hz peak and with a nice -3db at 35 hz.
Please tell me what do you think about it, thanks!

I wonder how could I manage to raise this 1,3 db difference.

I don't understand that question. I thought you are going active - then this is just a question of setting the apropriate levels.
Or do you mind having 1.3 dB more Headroom in the midrange ? This isn't a problem either. While many like lots of bass (me too) and therefore a lot of headroom down belowit is the midrange where our hearing is most susceptible to distortion so I think what you have is not bad at all. Apart from that 1.3 dB is a very small difference when it comes to headroom for instance.

Regards

Charles

Thank you for your comments, the low-mid transition is decided, now I will ask you some questions about mid-high crossing. I would like to cross somewhere between 1.8k - 2k for the hf unit to work more relaxed but I know about off axis beaming of the midbass over 1.3khz (the eff cone diameter is 259mm)
I read in another thread that the mid can be loaded by a slot to increase the high freq dispersion. What you guys think about it. Is it worth? does it affect the on axis sound coloration? from what i read about the Shorter1958 paper they use a 7,5 in wide slot for a 15in driver, scaled down it will became 6 in for a 12. it doesnt say the height of the slot but i guess it has to be near the eff diameter.
I was thinking of a speaker size of about 100cm high, 62cm wide and 38cm deep, and follow the same proportion as long as i could with de sealed chamber.
Well thats all for now. Any suggestion will be appreciated!

..I read in another thread that the mid can be loaded by a slot to increase the high freq dispersion.

What you guys think about it. Is it worth?

Avoid it. Why add diffraction (especially in the mid-band) when it isn't necessary?

My recommendation is a Bessel 4th order for the high-pass filter at a lower crossover point (after the driver has been eq'ed). It's a slow "transition" filter above the crossover freq. but a very sharp decline in output below it. At a lower freq. it should provide a good off-axis "blend" with the 12" driver while still having good output capability and lower non-linear distortion due to the "steep" reduction in pressure below the crossover freq..

If you really want a good higher freq. high-pass filter for the compression driver then the solution is fairly obvious: add-on a smaller mid. driver (..which will have benefits beyond dispersion integration).

Thanks guys. I could buy two beyma 8mi100 with 98 db eff and (according to the spec sheet) Controlled dispersion up to 3khz but i want to keep a simple 3 way design.
I also have 2 paudio bm8cxa nib for a proyect i didnt even start but i doubt about the dispersion of the conical expansion of the driver throat (i have two selenium d220ti to replace the tiny drivers they have)

Nothing scientific here..just my opinion. I use the 12MI100 as a mid bass driver and like it a lot. I cross to a ribbon tweeter at about 1.8k second order. At the low end I let the driver roll off as it wants. I actively cross in a pair of 15" woofers at 150hz with a gradual slope.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.