Birch Ply alternative for enclosure?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I can get some birch ply locally but unfortunately it only comes in a maximum thickness of 8mm:

Plywood products ? Aircraft plywood ? Birch Aircraft GL3

They also call it "aircraft ply", thus will likely be charging an arm and a leg for it.

Are there any similar ply alternatives? This is the range I can choose from:

Plywood suppliers ? huge range of plywood products, MDF & wood panels

And a recommendation of thickness would be great. Thanks

Their "Marine plywood" looks like an excellent candidate to me:
Plywood products ? Marine plywood ? Decorative Cedar Marine ...

Marco

How crazy are you planning to go with this project? Are we talking all out, no holds barred or rather a nice economy build?
Not very exciting but you can go MDF with epoxy coating and that'll take you quite far. Personally I'd like to go Birch-ply in my next build but you sort of start out with your goals and limits and then take it from there.

How crazy are you planning to go with this project? Are we talking all out, no holds barred or rather a nice economy build?
Not very exciting but you can go MDF with epoxy coating and that'll take you quite far. Personally I'd like to go Birch-ply in my next build but you sort of start out with your goals and limits and then take it from there.

Its a 2 way monitor with Scanspeak 15W/8530 and probably Morel tweeter. I think plywood will be less labour intensive than MDF since I can finish it with a light stain rather than veneering or painting. It looks very nice too imo.

So what is it about Baltic Birch ply that makes it so popular? Is it the stiffness, density, flexibility...?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.