Altec Voice of Theatre Freq Response roll on / bass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Sure. It's hard to tell what's going on with wrapped phase, so here it is unwrapped. I can fix the phase with RePhase, but it doesn't add any more punch to mine. Sounds better, but not punchy.

Attachments

• A5_phase.png
    A5_phase.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 170

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Pano's graph shows about 360 degrees rotation from 20 Hz through 100 Hz. I think mine had several more. Need to check what's happening. I haven't played around with the port tuning. I'll do it over the holidays.

I blame the drivers. I'll try some other 15" woofs to see if it changes anything. Have some 2226s lying around.

My mod, to a friends A7.

They did get stood up, but not in this room...

Now in service in another friend's house.
The original client/friend wants it back from the second, now that he has become more experienced and heard it at the second's place!

The A7 *definitely* needs much work, the walls stiffened (I doubled them up) and the horn flares backed with something solid.

Again, I used a different non-Altec driver to better match the T/S requirements in order to get down to ~35Hz flat, not counting any room lift/effects. The game is to maintain enough sensitivity and still do this... of course if you are not married to low power tube gear for the bottom section (the second owner is not) then the sensitivity issue goes quite away. The horns seen are good to 300Hz, so the A7 box *actually* is not used per the original design - i.e. the horn flare is actually a hindrance, not an asset! But it does have the major advantage of a physical setback of the acoustic center of the woofer to match the acoustic center of the horn! :D

My measurements say the horn flare's effect is gone completely at 100Hz. Lift I found to start >200.

Attachments

• A7x-BEAR-Labs.jpg
    A7x-BEAR-Labs.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 126
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.