The Napoleons: a Compact 2 Way that punches above its weight

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tweeters available

Hi,
Had a pm about the tweets, here's the info.
I didn't buy any for resale, just coordinated the purchase for a few of us in Ottawa.
You can buy them directly from Solen in Montreal. Postage to Ottawa for 5 pair was under $15, they were here in a couple of days, and were well packed.
Solen Electronique Inc.
Dave used Solen Fast caps, and doubled up Mills 12w 30 resistors for the high pass. Could use a Mills 15 ohm 50w but it's bigger and should be heat sinked. Sonic Craft (US) and Parts Connexion (Canada) carry Mills. So does Parts Express but they are back ordered until mid-June.

Of course, you can use any cap/resistor brand you prefer.

Bearberry

More info about the parts

Hi,
The parts recommended above are what Dave (DDF) recommended. I haven't heard him suggest any premium parts. There are some very educated ears in our local diy group, and everyone was very pleased with the sound as built.

Dave did like the amps that drove these speakers at our meet.
Assembled LJM L15D Pro Stero Power Amplifier Board IRS2092 IRFB4019 2 Boards | eBay
SMPS300RS
Connexelectronic

I haven't heard the Napoleans in a direct comparison to any commercial speakers. My primary speakers at home are Axiom m2s, so when the Napoleans are built I'll compare them.
M2 Bookshelf Speakers | Axiom Audio

have box - good fit?

I was happy to see the post on the Napoleons. I have some boxes with old, not-so-good drivers. The boxes are about the specified size, but a bit larger. The edges are rounded over, and the panel on which the speakers mount is removable, so I can easily machine a new one for the new drivers.

The box has OD of 825 inches by 8.25 by 13.375. Allowing for the 3/4 inch wood, that leaves internal volume of 710 in^3 or 11.6 liters. (I did not allow for internal bracing, of which there is some, or the displacement of the drivers or crossover.

I would guess that I could just use this design, as the crossover details would not change much (unless differences in edge diffraction due to different shape need to be taken into account).

The box volume seems to be larger, and that would change some of the low end parameters. I don't think I'd mind a lower Q.

I suppose I'm open to alternative designs that would take advantage of the slightly larger box - if any such designs are existing.

I was considering getting a closeout 5X7 coaxial from parts express to use in these same boxes, but I do not yet have the test equipment to design a crossover. A proven design seems more likely to produce useful results.

Any comments or help are welcome!

Tom

I barely managed to get them built in time! Here they are at the meet:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/club...o-ottawa-21-22-feb-2015-a-14.html#post4237538

Original crossover design, internal. Added 1/4" to the depth of the box. Laser cut a template that I used to drill/route the baffles. Worked well but I messed up a couple of things so will be making a new template as I have components for another pair. When that is underway I will post the details. By then the weather should be warm enough to make these look nice - one evening of -25C in the unheated garage is enough per speaker pair!

I've listened to these for 50+ hours since the get-together last week. Really enjoying them! After listening carefully to Shure SRH1440 and PSB M4U1 headphones the week before, what strikes me is how well the Napoleans are producing the correct tone of different instruments, something I really like about the Shures.
Highs and lows are in good balance. The TB w4-1720s we got (2 other Ottawa guys and I) measured higher than spec with Fs from 68.5 to 74 Hz instead of 60Hz. I would sometimes like a little more bass than they are putting out, but then I previously was using Zaph's Hi-Vi B3S single driver design with a 3 cu. ft. dual Exodus Anarchy sub! I prefer the Napoleans with the SMSL Q5 amp over the old setup, but will add a smaller sub once the weather improves.
Also need to vary the stuffing, may benefit from a bit more. And build stands, as I'm tall and the current propped-up-on-boxes approach is definitely sub-optimal.
BTW, the Tang Band w4-1720s are currently on sale at Parts Express, but sadly I can't find any more of the Vifa D26NC55-06 tweeters. If you have some stashed away, you should try this design!:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.