JA8008/TWO34 open baffle/ripole project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You should simulate the response in the mid on the 50cm panel , you will have a big hole in the 500Hz..2kHz and a bad sound in this area.
You should offset the mid.
Open baffle is more far difficult than box speaker.
See Jamo measurement OB : Jamo Reference R 907 loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com
Not for nothing Linkwitz has made the dimension of his Orion...
Just my 2c.

Hi Jerome,
Here I am at a loss, simulate how ? any advise on how to do this ?

BUMP! sorry for my ignorance. Jerome what software do you need to simulate this Ripole? I use Boxsim and it doesnt model dipoles, which is a shame.

Im watching this thread with great interest, and realising that I knew a little more than I thought.

Perhaps that Mivoc 18" Ripole I was dreaming of is worth trying to make a reality

Last edited:
Hi Jerome,
I revised the drawing to Calvin's suggested spacing for the front and back openings as well as an offset for the tweeter mid (not simulated, just trying to get a visualization of what you propose) Is there a way to calculate the offset on a open baffle?
Cheers,
Vanko

P.S. Thank You Calvin Very Much for the Simulation

Attachments

• JA8008 TW034 OB Ripole A.jpg
    JA8008 TW034 OB Ripole A.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 382
BUMP! sorry for my ignorance. Jerome what software do you need to simulate this Ripole? I use Boxsim and it doesnt model dipoles, which is a shame.

Im watching this thread with great interest, and realising that I knew a little more than I thought.

Perhaps that Mivoc 18" Ripole I was dreaming of is worth trying to make a reality

I don't know any software to simulate the ripole. Perhaps MJK mathcad sheet ? and Hornresp ? If I will do this, i will do measurement...
Take a look here for a free version of MJK worksheet : FRD Consortium

Hi Jerome,
I revised the drawing to Calvin's suggested spacing for the front and back openings as well as an offset for the tweeter mid (not simulated, just trying to get a visualization of what you propose) Is there a way to calculate the offset on a open baffle?
Cheers,
Vanko

P.S. Thank You Calvin Very Much for the Simulation

Try Edge :http://www.tolvan.com/index.php?page=/edge/edge.php

I am afraid that sreten just demonstrated that
he knows nothing whatsoever about the Ripole.

/Erling

Hi,

The only person demonstrating ignorance is you. If you can't point out
any flaws in what I'm saying , which I assume you can't, spare me the
insult of your ignorance assuming it is wrong.

You have posted nothing that indicates you understand Ripoles,
building one to a formula is just that, it is not understanding.

Stupid statements like the above are usually made by the know little.

rgds, sreten.

In my haste to develop this project I had assumed that a 50.8 cm wide baffle would be sufficient to support the mid and tweeter without a change to the crossover. I was wrong. Jerome's post on driver offset led me to discover my error. On the Dayton driver I found this also

Titanic MKIII vs XLS

The more I delved in the construction of the OB/ Ripole the more I feel that I may have two white elephants sitting in my living room. If I knew the mid-range was going to be right, I would be willing to explore a Beyma LX Ripole as suggested by Calvin. I now realize I may be better served by building either the TQWT or DTQWT, as I have the drivers and crossover components on hand, both being proven designs and both having a much smaller footprint. As for the Daytons, hopefully Parts Express can intercept delivery and reroute them back to inventory. I am sorry to disappoint those who followed or contributed to this project, but for me to go on would most likely be an exercise in vanity.
With some regret,
Vanko

Vanko,
Things are difficult but not impossible ;)
Do you need a ripole ?
Imagine, you have the components to build a DTQWT
The woofers Eminence DeltaLite II 2510 (2x10") can be used in a simple H frame. The footprint will be small, as small as the TQWT. The width could be 32cm or less. This gainphile idea is interesting to make a smaller footprint speaker : Gainphile: S20-Z Compact Open Baffle using Zaph Kit
You should keep the crossover point near 100Hz with the H Frame.
A try is easy to make. The passive crossover for the mid_treble could work.

:)

Yes, Vanko, don't give up so easily :)

I think ripole is a great choice for bass (I have tried u-frame and wasn't satisfied, but I dont have the space for 3x 15" per side). It surely is easier to integrate with OB than vented or closed box.

An option could be to reverse the mid and tweeter, so you can have a taller bass section (not sure if needed, seems not).

Ideally a 8" driver in OB plays smoother with a narrower baffle, but it wont go low so well (I cross at 300hz which is higher than ideal and surely can be hard with a ripole, so you should aim for a 200-250hz max XO point).

The JA8008 is an excellent driver and the kit with matched tweeter makes the upper range a no brainer (i'm very tempted to get this pair myself).
Try simulating a triangular baffle for the HF dipole part, and play with shapes/offset in Edge. GL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.