"Tired2way" speaker building.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Well they did sound very good nonetheless. The "shelf" below the woofer is supposed to reduce the floor reflections and they are meant to be placed as close as possible to the wall behind them to integrate with the wall. The extra tweeters I do not know why they are "needed" but I think I have a chance to meet the man responsible at an exhibition soon.

That's the Allison part of it. You can see a second near the floor woofer in the Bose 601 too. The quarter space HF steel plate reflector, the angles and the extra units are the exploiting the room reflections part. But optimized with a hood for against the wall full Allison. It should be a much better modern result with way better drivers of course. And possibly very rich and nice and expansive. Its another school, digging room effects than striving to get them out of the picture. Whatever works for the listener and his room when we are not talking professional monitoring standards, just home audio. Imagine the diffraction galore situation created by all those ledges and units VS streamlined direct to air speakers or sophisticated horns controlled dispersion schools. Very different approaches.

So sad what I discovered today :mad:. I have always known that a compressed recording is not what we want for best sound. But earlier when I had less competent equipment is was not so much a problem. Now with a better source you notice this even more. Many recordings sounds boring and slow lacking drive and energy, it all sounds the same. When I use a good recording with no compression at all (not many) I can turn up the volume a lot more and I get a very dynamic sound that reminds me of vinyl. And surprise surprise :D, most vinyl is not compressed like cd is. I wonder who the "genius" is who started this? Why not leave the compressed music for MP3-players where it belongs? :mad:.

Step up.

I have continued to improve things and I began with testing playing music files from a USB memory-stick. It is widely suggested to only use one USB device when you use USB to a dac, so I did something that is not recommended.
But I found out it sounds better than using the internal HD in my laptop.
Got curious and changed the HD to a SSD disc instead, and yes it got even better. So now I have SSD for Windows and JRiver and play my music from the external USB memory. I am also curious testing a SD card (same one you use in a camera for example) since some have reported it works very good. I have a SD port in my laptop so I will try it. Advantage? with this might be it has nothing to do with the USB protocol so it should be independent of it and then I only use 1 device for USB as recommended. This can be interesting....;):).

I think I have reach the limit of this speaker when it comes to resolution. It is hard to distinguish SSD from SD and USB memory stick. All of them gives a nice sound. Nick, do you have some suggestions of good speakers with great resolution and other qualities? Looking for a floor stander which can handle at least 30Hz.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thanks, panels might be it if I just got the space needed, worth considering. I listened to a nice speaker recently, the GATO FM 6: Gato Audio FM-6 2,5-way Fidelity Monitor
It is a conventional speaker but need less space than a panel I guess. It is rather expensive though.

Conventional higher resolution speakers you can make yourself too by using high grade ($$$) drivers on very dense cabinets or in dipole hybrids, active crossovers etc. See the Linkwitz Orion and the NaO Note for examples.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Had listened extensively to in wall and off wall coax Tannoys in studios, and occasionally at homes and shows. They are very nice for 2 way integration and almost point source correctness, airy, fast, big, sensitive. Good resolution, more than average, but not state of the art resolution. Maybe you should also listen to the bigger studio active monitors from the likes of Genelec, K&H, etc. Those are very honestly priced compared to high-end, but looking blunt.

Yes I have a big task, so much out there. Tired2way is vg considering its budget, I recently listened to TAD Evolution One and overall balance was not very different from T2W, it can play louder and deeper (it is a big speaker) with more distinct sound but it is no match for the bigger TAD Reference One which is quite amazing, amazing price too, hehe.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
T2W was an excellently executed project on your side to get your feet wet in diy speaker building and rewarding for the cost and effort. But when you feel you have outgrown its class, well, aspirations can be many. Two things you should keep in mind though: You can't beat size and sensitivity when it comes to loudspeakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.