Best midrange to pair with Beyma TPL-150

Hi, yes together with the TPL in active setup. XO is at 1600 with 12 dB-LR. Sub is the B&C 15ndl76.

Thank you! Interesting that you are crossing at 1600. Would have guessed it was higher. Are you using TPL-150H or TPL-150?
Since you are xo actively I imagine you tried higher and also with steeper slopes, yet preferred 1600 and 2nd order LR. Correct?

Thank you! Interesting that you are crossing at 1600. Would have guessed it was higher. Are you using TPL-150H or TPL-150?
Since you are xo actively I imagine you tried higher and also with steeper slopes, yet preferred 1600 and 2nd order LR. Correct?

I use the TPL-150H. Yes, have tested a lot. With other XO-combos and slopes. To my ears, it sounds best (natural) with this setup.

Hi anyone in the EU near an airport who has a good Beyma set up? I am looking to hear this. I am in London can fly over for a quick listen. Prefer to listen with LPs.

Having tried a lot of drivers with the TPL150 with and without horn I have found the best sound by far was with the B&C8pe21. However, when I abandoned the TPL altogether and moved to a B&C DE250 this gave me the most natural sound when I try the TPL again it just doesn’t seem to disperse the sound as naturally/as well.
Having tried a lot of combinations over 2 years I don’t think I can make this sound “right” to my ears.
Good luck.

Having tried a lot of drivers with the TPL150 with and without horn I have found the best sound by far was with the B&C8pe21. However, when I abandoned the TPL altogether and moved to a B&C DE250 this gave me the most natural sound

Do you still use B&C8pe21 as your midrange with DE250? What do you use as your bass driver - is it 15pr400?

I bought over last couple years some drivers that still sits in draw and can not await to try them out in various configuration

mids:
5" TANGBAND W5-2145
6.5" Audax PR170Z0
2" Community M200
Bohlender Graebener Neo10 Planar

tweets:
Radian 450BePB Beryllium Diaphragm

Curently using Beyma 12g40 in 60l ported cab with Tang Band 75-1558SE 3" Textile Dome Midrange in small wavequide and Mundorf AMT AMT23CM1.1-R

Yes 8pe21 with DE250 on RCF 100 horn, crossed at 2k. Bass is 18p80nd. Although my original design used the 12p80nd you lose far too much detail in the vocals. I find when I use something smaller than 8 inch for the midrange piano and guitar sound odd. Perhaps 4 way is what would work best but power amplification becomes expensive as system is active.

Yes 8pe21 with DE250 on RCF 100 horn, crossed at 2k. Bass is 18p80nd. Although my original design used the 12p80nd you lose far too much detail in the vocals. I find when I use something smaller than 8 inch for the midrange piano and guitar sound odd. Perhaps 4 way is what would work best but power amplification becomes expensive as system is active.

Interesting!
I'm running active too and very much interested in 8pe21 crossed at 2kHz. What amp are you using to drive it?

Cheers!

100 watt valve KT 88 for both treble and midrange so “voicing” sounds the same over the critical frequencies. Eventually if I can afford it I will have a 400 watt KT88 based bass amp but this is very expensive. I believe you can use a transistor based amp as long as the class is the same ie A/B. Class D won’t work so well as it seems to flatten the sound and you lose the natural harmonics.

Although my original design used the 12p80nd you lose far too much detail in the vocals. I find when I use something smaller than 8 inch for the midrange piano and guitar sound odd.

And how low do you cross that 8 inch mid?

I personally started believing that the most important driver in the speaker is the midrange itself where range from let say 350hz up to min 3-4khz or even higher is played by one driver.

It could be true as the human hearing is the most sensitive to that range, and probably If we could only have 1 driver, it would have to be a midrange.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
And how low do you cross that 8 inch mid?

I personally started believing that the most important driver in the speaker is the midrange itself where range from let say 350hz up to min 3-4khz or even higher is played by one driver.

It could be true as the human hearing is the most sensitive to that range, and probably If we could only have 1 driver, it would have to be a midrange.

Your Audax PR170zo should cover that range (?)

Joined 2008
Paid Member
has anyone ever tried to use Beyma 12P80ND-V2 in OB configuration? I'm wondering if it's usable from ~200hz to 1.2-1.3khz

Please see the link for information regarding the results when said driver is placed in an *infinite baffle*

Too many times I have read a posting suggesting that an "open baffle" is some sort of cure all. The "open baffle" concept is VERY MUCH MIS-UNDERSTOOD.

Depending upon the baffle board dimensions, you will start introducing front-to-back frequency cancellation. 200Hz is a wavelength of 5.65 feet

Your open baffle dimensions would have to approach this size, in order to prevent the acoustic short-circuit.

http://manuals.audiomania.ru/data/beyma_12p80ndv2.pdf

have to make a center channel which can be wide but thats it. Stuck with 10 or 12" MTM style. Have a 3451 and looked at possibly doing another 10" for the bass or adding another 3451 2.5way. The 3451 is only 2mm Xmax so open to ideas. Still havent heard the Beyma 1280Ndv2.

Just dont want to lack in dynamics for HT. Can cross this over to subs around 120hz if needed. Just trying to get some ideas.

Maybe I need to go with a MTW and buy a 10/12 midbass to go with the 3451 mid??

Last edited: