Stuffing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey

Adding stuffing effectivly makes the enclosure seem bigger to the driver, this results in a lower Qtc, meaning the response will be 'smoother' and more drawn out. Typically i have found i can get between 25% and 30% extra effective volume from stuffing.

There's loads of info on this around on the forum already (i think :goodbad: ) Also you might want to check out http://www.diysubwoofers.org

Heres a pic of interest, its actually for a midrange cone, but the same trends still apply

Attachments

• response.gif
    response.gif
    13.6 KB · Views: 284
I'm sorry but I don't really understand all this Qtc business, etc. You'll have to explain it to me in newbie terms! :bawling:

I just had a bit of a play with the SW Episode 2 DVD and the real low frequencies are certainly there, but considering how much excursion is involved with my poor subwoofer cone, I feel there could be more output, if you see what I mean.

On the graph the red line indicates the frequency response one would get with a larger box (i.e. by adding stuffing to an enclosure)

The dark blue line indicates the response of a smaller box, and the other lines are somewhere between the two

Notice that the red line shows higher output at lower frequencies, this is due to the extended, smoother 'curved bit.' As you add more stuffing/make the box bigger this curved bit extends more and more, and also becomes more smooth, giving you greater output at lower frequencies.....

However there is a catch (a few others too actually) Adding too much stuffing can have the opposite effect, making the enclosure smaller

I strongly suggest u do as much research on the topic as possible before you do anything, that link i gave earlier is a good starting point. (Toying with the sealed.xls file avalible from that site might help clear things up a little)

If you have a 12" woofer and see a lot of excursion that means it's putting out. Assuming that your expectations are not unrealistic, I would suggest that it may be a placement problem.

The easiest solution is to put the woofer where you sit, play the DVD and walk around the room until you find a spot where the bass is satisfactory. Then, put the woofer there.

Adding stuffing is not going to help you.

There is kinda limited potential for placement, but I'll give it a try.
Would you recommend using some music with like a solid bass beat to determine where the bass is at best? It's hard to find a continuous "bass" bit in any of my DVDs! Except SW Episode 2 of course.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.