How about the sealed box with "variovent"?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greets!

The 1 lb of polyfil used in the sim is per ft^3 of pipe volume (Vb), so this would be ~22.22 oz total ~evenly distributed along the entire path-length, but Dave's diagonal divider makes it hard to experiment with different amounts since only half the line is easily accessible with one side removed, so I recommend experimenting with higher density R-19 fiberglass insulation (without paper backing) or wool batting from the top down and across the bottom and leave the other side empty and only stuff some down the vent if you feel the need.

GM

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
gaetan8888 said:
Which software did you take to do the 3d visualisation
of the TL ?

Google's free version of SketchUp aided by an import of shapes from the CAD drawings (VectorWorks). Screen snaps are taken and processed for web posting in Photoshop (all on a Mac of course -- you could do the same thing on a windoz box but it wouldn't be as seemless a process)

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
GM said:
Dave's diagonal divider

If you didn't want to attempt the triangular line (with it's inherent non-parallel sides and influence from GM's triangular JX92 ML-TL) you could simply run a partition parallel to the front & back. It would be dead centre down the middle which isn't the best place for a brace, and you'd have to recalculate the space at the bottom.

dave

Hi

I did read somes about transmission line, I did find a short definition;

"A transmission line enclosure is a waveguide in which the structure shifts the phase of the driver's rear output by at least 90°, thereby reinforcing the frequencies near the driver's" (Wikipedia).

But I did not found a web page with a simple explanation of why a high Qts a woofer are difficult or not suitable for a transmission line box.

Anybody can give a simple explanation ?

I even see web pages where it say that you can not made a transmission line with woofer who have a Qts higher than .5

Thank

Gaetan

gaetan8888 said:
But I did not found a web page with a simple explanation of why a high Qts a woofer are difficult or not suitable for a transmission line box.

Anybody can give a simple explanation ?

I even see web pages where it say that you can not made a transmission line with woofer who have a Qts higher than .5

Greets!

You can't because it's not true. Anyone who says otherwise usually has either a marketing agenda or firmly believes that only a critically damped (Q = 0.5) alignment is worth making.

Simple enough?

GM

No easy answers tomato.

There's no 3dB loss of sealed WRT ported. That's a fallacy, the ported alignments add output around the tuning, but that's not 3dB added to the reference efficiency which is how it's often described.

How it influences the box size depends upon the driver/box combo, there's no simplification that can be applied.

badman said:
No easy answers tomato.

There's no 3dB loss of sealed WRT ported. That's a fallacy, the ported alignments add output around the tuning, but that's not 3dB added to the reference efficiency which is how it's often described.

Oh great to know, i thought that the sealed configuration makes a loss of 3dB of the "factory" effeciency of the driver

So if the effeciency of a driver is 97dB (on correct specs) it will stay 97dB in a sealed enclosure
In fact if i understand you it is the ported enclosure that improve the output only on a frequency range

How it influences the box size depends upon the driver/box combo, there's no simplification that can be applied.

Well there is still physical laws as O_cool's reference to Hoffmann's iron law that i discover not that far

i mean what should i expect ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.