How about the sealed box with "variovent"?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

I have a pair of Dynaudio 17W75 woofer and D-28/2 tweeter.

I like the Dynaudio 17W75, it have very clean sound, but it have only 85dB for the SPL at 1W/1m , I would like a loudspeaker box who would boost the overall efficiency of my Dynaudio 17W75 and having a clean sound.

It seem that horn or transmission line speaker will not work since the Qts are too high, do using the variovent (or similar product) would be the solution ?

What size and type of box would be best with a Dynaudio 17W75 and a variovent ?

Here's the spec of my Dynaudio;

Dynaudio 17W-75

Dia 6.5"
Power 150W
Z 8 ohm
SPL 85dB
Fs 39hz
Vas cu ft .664
Qts 0.74
xmax 0.217"

Thank

Gaetan

Greets!

FYI, more complete published/calc'd specs:

Fs = 39 Hz
Vas = 0.663916 ft^3 (18.8 L)
Qes = 1.12
Qms = 2.18
Qts = 0.74
Xmax = 0.1083" (2.75 mm)
BL = 4.3 N/A (calc'd 4.661 - 4.694 depending on 'c', 'po' used, so some thing's amiss in these specs)
Sd = 18.6"^2 (120 cm)
Dia = 4.866" (12.361 cm)
Pe = 150 W
Re = 5.5 ohms
SPL = 85 dB/W/m (calc'd 81.84 dB)

According to some old Dynaudio specs, they recommend 14 L/52 Hz F3 with a variovent, but if this is acceptable, then it's medium high Qts makes it suitable for an end loaded max flat impedance TL that's much better damped:

L = 60.042"
CSA = 38.504"^2 (7" dia.)
stuffing = 1.0 lb/ft^3 polyfil shown

Round up the dims to your preferred units, fold it as required to get the desired listening height with the tweeter on top and stuff to suit.

GM

Attachments

• dynaudio 17w-75 max flat impedance tl.jpg
    dynaudio 17w-75 max flat impedance tl.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 521
GM said:
Greets!

According to some old Dynaudio specs, they recommend 14 L/52 Hz F3 with a variovent, but if this is acceptable, then it's medium high Qts makes it suitable for an end loaded max flat impedance TL that's much better damped:

L = 60.042"
CSA = 38.504"^2 (7" dia.)
stuffing = 1.0 lb/ft^3 polyfil shown

Round up the dims to your preferred units, fold it as required to get the desired listening height with the tweeter on top and stuff to suit.

GM

Hi

"An end loaded max flat impedance TL", seem interesting, I never made a TL, where can I find a plans of that transmision line for my Dynaudio ?

I was think that the Dynaudio 17W75 Qts was to high for a good transmision line loudspeaker ?

There was the BassTuba but some guys try it with high Qts woofer and they told me that the bass was muddy.

Thank

Gaetan

Greets!

I just 'ran the numbers' and loaded them in MJK's Mathcad program to get a sim for you, so no drawings. It's up to you to turn them into a cab that suits your sense of shape/style.

The BassTuba is designed for a fairly low Q driver IIRC, so no, it won't do well with a high Q driver. Regardless, horns need to be designed around the driver and you can make good performing horns with high Q drivers, but they are huge compared to ones designed for a low Q driver and not as efficient, so normally not a good choice.

GM

Hello

Very good work and drawing.

Do I put the 1.0 lb of polyfil stuffing near the woofer or all the way inside the box ?

I'm a nul in math, I did discover the Martin J. King web page but I still try to understand all those math he use there, but since I'm french speaking it's a bit difficult for me to read long english technical texts.

Thank you

Gaetan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.