Faital PRO loudspeaker components at US SPEAKER

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Came across this the other night on the US Speaker homepage. They've apparently been around for quite some time, but I'd never heard of them before I don't think..

"COMING SOON FAITAL PRO speaker components - Call for more info"
http://www.usspeaker.com/homepage.htm

http://www.faitalpro.com/index.php

..Any comments/experiences with any of their stuff? I wonder why I've never seen them mentioned anywhere. Maybe I'm just a noob. Anyway, thought I'd pass it along for others as well.

edit:
http://www.faitalpro.com/news/detail.php?idnews=20&s=1
"Danley Sound Labs launches the new SH-96 enclosure at InfoComm 2008 FaitalPRO drivers beat at its heart"

..Okay, maybe they're more popular than I thought? :confused:

Currently running some of their M5N12 woofers in a tractrix mid-bass horn. Very impressed and pleased. It's not very often a 5" whips up on a 8", but that is the case here.

The Faital M5N12 next to B&C SPeakers 8PE21

l_519321d1d58adc00f03ae6f05d0ff429.jpg

View of the back sides

l_72bc032f814166adf53c043e9b5cb89e.jpg

The B&C in the back chamber of mid-bass horn

l_3b83f153c94505e48f4eabb94d489d4d.jpg

The Faital M5N12 in the back chamber - looks lonely in there!

l_d843c39133ec03029b9394664edd180c.jpg

Faital is the real deal.

fascinating.
I've been playing with different drivers in my midbass horn too. (115hz 5" throat exponential)
So far I've tried Precision Devices PD107 (looks rather laike your B&C) and also Lowther A55.
The Lowther wins hands down at the moment. Could this be to do with the fact that the cone loads the horn directly?

What frequency of your horn flair? What is the throat size? Did you null the reluctance with the back chamber?

My hunch is that the smaller driver driving the throat directly has some major advantages....

cheers
james

[email]JAMES@BOYD.ORG[/email] said:
fascinating.
I've been playing with different drivers in my midbass horn too. (115hz 5" throat exponential)
So far I've tried Precision Devices PD107 (looks rather laike your B&C) and also Lowther A55.
The Lowther wins hands down at the moment. Could this be to do with the fact that the cone loads the horn directly?

What frequency of your horn flair? What is the throat size? Did you null the reluctance with the back chamber?

My hunch is that the smaller driver driving the throat directly has some major advantages....

cheers
james

The horn is a full size 142Hz tractrix with a 4" throat. With the 8PE21 the back chamber is adjusted to null the reactance. With the M5N12 no back chamber is needed due to its Fs being 130Hz. I just run with the chamber open.

Here is how I see it. If you are using the horn for a narrow bandwidth like 1 or 2 octaves the larger woofer is fine. However, if you want extended bandwidth either you need a woofer close to your throat size, or use a phase plug with a larger woofer. The problem is there are very few smaller diameter woofers that can actually drive a horn without a compression throat (i.e. throat smaller than cone diameter). The M5N12 has the guts to do it. The flux gap in the M5N12 is 1.65T.

tinitus said:
Are there any of the Faital CDs that deserves attention or should I stick with my present choise, 18Sound with its newest advanced technology ?

I've never heard the Faital compression drivers. As you probably already know, the "latest and greatest" technology is no guarantee to good sound. There are a good number of vintage compression drivers that sound better to my ears than many of the modern day compression drivers. Just be careful.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
JLH said:

Just be careful.

Thanks fore the reminder
or I could bet my money on the hope that Faital has "the golden touch" :D
Actually I dont think its a question of a certain brand but rather that every brand may have a lucky hit, and that its more a question on spotting it
ofcourse everything depends on good implementation
But nothing wrong done in patiently waiting ;)

It's not new tech really. Just some thoughtful person leaving out some stuff that some people consider a boundary in certain horns (do I hear no throat tube?).

And they sound up to the standard. Not anything special, but having cloth ears I can just tell good and crap, and Faital's are good.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
mashaffer said:

TH. :cloud9: Need fs about 1 8va above cutoff for these anyway.

Hi, dont understand, please explain

I know i that I wrote that about highish Fs, but I am close to diciding on buying the FiveHundredSeries 18", with Fs of 30hz
The battle was between the Faital and the new BMS with fs of 25hz
The BMS does go a bit deeper, but the difference is "only" 3db
The Faital may make up fore this being a 99db driver and the BMS "only" 95db
An 18" with no bass is not very likely to happen, on the contrary I think one must be very carefull with such big heavy cones with highish Qts, and I really dont believe in 20hz at very high sound pressures anyway
Furthermore the Faital does this with an attractive cone weight of "only" 134gr, where the BMS needs twice as much, 277gr
Fore musicality I believe the Faital will be the winner, or at least I hope so
I may be using one Reckhorn subamp on each woofer

The contest of a midbass/midrange will be between Faitals 12" or an advanced 10" 18Sound, but AE could be a contender, if only they didnt hold back on specs and measurements
Tweeter could also be a Faital 1.4", so I may be looking at an all out Faital :clown:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.