Front or rear port placement?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for your response.
The question of using the rear sound waves is important however, for TL speakers since the speaker is designed specifically to use the rear sound waves to reinforce the sound waves coming from the front of the speaker. What is the difference between the two designs? Clearly a TL design is a taller box, yet both have ports. How much larger must a box be to use its rear waves to reinforce its front waves?
It is same with bass reflex. MLTL additionally takes advantage of standing waves inside the box.

I don't know WHAT I mean half the time. :D

As a mathematician at heart, it's certainly important to define everything before you make a statement.

630830d1503064961-mission-762-custom-cabinets-passive-radiators-30l-reflex-versus-64l-closed-box-png

Here we see slow bass reflex versus some sort of fast (foot-tappin') closed box.

The double-peak impedance reflex certainly seems to deliver more bass in the main range. TBH, I like both approaches.

IMO, if you have a big magnet Qts= 0.38 reflex driver, that is what you do. If your driver is nearer small magnet closed box Qts= 0.5, that is what you then do.

We'd be silly to imagine there is anything like a perfect speaker. All is compromise. :cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.