The Advantages of Floor Coupled Up-Firing Speakers

what it - the particular FCUFS system which might be flawed - did is what You liked/disliked when You heard it

it is purely subjective, and purely specific

no proof at all with regard to any hypothetical FCUFS configuration's flaws by design

You cannot come to this conclusion without being there, and without measuring the system. This is pure speculation, and assumption in a vacuum.

whereas other people in this thread - not just me - attested that FCUFS system properly set up (which means unlike a Linkwitz Pluto stuck in na corner upsode down etc.) doesn't necessarily sound like You describe, so I tend to think that what You described was a matter of some flaws in the particular implementation of the design

You had nothing to compare your flooder to. You are sitting there is a vacuum telling yourself I like this "effect".

When you have something to compare it to, then you realize that design is making huge changes to the original presentation.

my perspective is the real thing, which is in fact the only perspective available in practice for most listeners

No, your perspective is your perspective. The real thing happened during the recording session, and in the studio while the mixing and mastering were being done. So thank you for making my point here. That design could be making huge changes in the original presentation and you would know nothing about it. As I have said before, if you like accuracy, a flooder ain't it. If you like euphonic listening, then the flooder is exactly what you are looking for.

I like realistic sound and realistic sound reproduction is what HiFi is all about.

As I have said before, you idea of realistic and mine are quite different. With the three flooders I heard(with a great 24/192khz recording) I didn't get realistic, I got reproduction distortions all over the place. I had nothing to do with the quality of the speaker, it had everything to do with the design scattering reflections all over the place.

The real thing, not the sound of particular speakers is the true measure of quality.

Then why are you pushing this speaker design so hard?

I let myself to ask You once more - would You agree with Linkwitz's opinions that "people who only listen to loudspeakers and thus always compare loudspeakers are poor judges of accuracy" and that "unbiased listeners have no difficulty recognizing accurate sound reproduction, even with hearing damage or with hearing aids"?

Before I answer this question, I would like to see the study he conduct that brought him to this conclusion. Unlike you, I don't shoot from the hip without proof.

Last edited:
I found vintage flooder, by Sandeman, from 1929 !

An implementation where a loud speaker and a room work as a system :D

attachment.php

a corner speaker - I would not qualify it as a FCUFS because unless the driver used is highly directional there is a first order floor reflection present in such a configuration

an example of contemporary "Sandeman":
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

face it Soundtrackmixer - being a highly experienced professional You are biased

that's normal, please read Toole's book, page 119: "Audio professionals may have their own preferences - it’s all right, they are just different"

yeah, it is all right indeed, but it is not right to impose Your bias on everybody here as a sort of universal true measure of quality because it is NOT - it is just Your bias

You are also biased as well right?

The problem with using THAT particular quote from Toole's book is that I am not an audio professional when I am casually listening to music. I am just a listener at that point just like you are. I put my professional hat on when I am recording, mixing, and mastering. Unlike you, I can take off my coat when it is hot outside, and put it back on when it cools down.

There is a big difference between imposing something on somebody, and letting them know that in certain areas they are inaccurate.

My mother taught me that it is easy to point out what others do, but it is not so easy to recognize when YOU are doing it as well. This describes you to a tee.

You cannot come to this conclusion without being there, and without measuring the system.

You come to a conclusion without any proof because Your subjective feelings constitute no proof.

And when You say there is a flaw in this design then the burden of proof is on You.

The real thing happened during the recording session ... while the mixing and mastering were being done

the real thing is NOT what You hear on Your main monitors

it's the sound of real instrument in a real space, it's when my daughter is playing piano in my music room, for example

If you like euphonic listening, then the flooder is exactly what you are looking for.

euphonic? so a conventional system is for those who like cacophonic listening? :rolleyes:

it had everything to do with the design scattering reflections all over the place.

"scattering reflections all over the place"? what sort of physics is that? Do You know the law of reflection which applies in acoustics?

Before I answer this question, I would like to see the study he conduct that brought him to this conclusion. Unlike you, I don't shoot from the hip without proof.

unlike me? or did You mean unlike Linkwitz? ;)

I can't figure out why Soundtrackmixer is still on this thread defending his multichannel vision and arguing page after page. This hasn't resolved anything and no souls where turned towards multichannel systems. (that I know of)

A little reality for ya. I am not sure pages and pages of defending floor coupled speakers has turned anyone to this design either.

Soundtrackmixer, why not start your own thread about the merits of multichannel?

Why don't you do it yourself?

Maybe this thread will finally get somewhere if there is room to discuss AND share experiences of the floor coupled speakers. You have done the sharing of your vision already so time to move on I'd say.

Who died and left you in charge?

You come to a conclusion without any proof because Your subjective feelings constitute no proof.

And when You say there is a flaw in this design then the burden of proof is on You.

The flaw in the design is it is not accurate or even close to it.

the real thing is NOT what You hear on Your main monitors

When recording, mixing, and mastering it is.

it's the sound of real instrument in a real space, it's when my daughter is playing piano in my music room, for example

Then let's dump speakers altogether and hire musicians to come into our living rooms every night.

euphonic? so a conventional system is for those who like cacophonic listening? :rolleyes:

I would describe the flooder as both euphonic and cacophonic listening. :D

"scattering reflections all over the place"? what sort of physics is that? Do You know the law of reflection which applies in acoustics?

Very well. However, the law works in the presence of perfection. Once imperfection creeps in, the law no longer works.

unlike me? or did You mean unlike Linkwitz? ;)

No you:rolleyes:

These posts fit right in this thread:
Hi Pano
I would think they are not mutually exclusive but more like synergistic, if you can hear Dianna Krall standing there right in front of you, that may make it more enjoyable.
In the way old days, I heard a demo of some recordings at Don Davis's house that he made with tiny microphones in a persons ears. One was walking around at the Indy 500 during time trials and it really made the hair stand up on he back of my neck. Unfortunately, this only worked for one person, with speakers aimed up from the floor on either side (minimizing your ear's pina response). Still, it was amazing, a sonic hemisphere that really was somewhere else..

Funny too, I have a recording I made with a microphone array thing I have been working on that was at a friend’s BBQ a few years ago. It was his some and some other kids (ages about 9 to 16) playing Irish folk music.
I love one track in particular, not because of it’s professionalism or musicianship but because of nearly the opposite, because it sounds so live, so real, even when the neighbors air-conditioned came on it was cool..
Our old web site at work used to have a place I could put a few recordings like the fireworks but I don’t think they got around to that on the new one.
Best,
Tom
Hey are you going to Infocom?
Source: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/236009-hearing-future-loudspeaker-design-14.html#post3497251

Hi Art, Markus
Actually Don’s ITE (in the ear) recordings were much more “organic” than a dummy head haha.
They used small condenser microphones and tiny little tubes that were inserted down into the volunteer’s ear canals and literally sampled / captured the sound in front of the eardrum.
Your ears shape (the alterations it causes) are what we have learned tells us height, position etc with more of an explanation here;

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...ns-beaten-behringer-what-157.html#post3403094

One recordings he played for me was at Indy time trials and the sensation was so strong at times it was uncomfortable (when he was walking around while you were sitting still, the acoustic environment was moving impossibly).

For playback, you sat in a chair, there was a right and left speaker on the floor aimed up from either side (minimizing crosstalk, close reflections AND the more familiar pinna Q’s and also a contrabass behind for lf).

When this was right, it was very convincing even hair rising but you could not move, you were in a “bite bar” so far as position as Doug used to say.
I always wondered how it held up with headphones with their perpendicular presentation.

Back then my friend Doug (now part of the company) sort of condensed ‘what the ear does” into some averaged generalized things (we are individuals after all). When these effects are applied and delivered to the listener faithfully, they remind us or even sound like the sound is moving around in the way intended.
These are the recordings he demonstrating the effects made way back then.

Online LEDR Sound Test | Listening Environment Diagnostic Recording Test

I wish I could upload some recordings like with our old web site, it was partly Don's recordings / that experience which set the hook in my mouth.

Best,
Tom Danley

Source: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/236009-hearing-future-loudspeaker-design-18.html#post3499478

A little reality for ya. I am not sure pages and pages of defending floor coupled speakers has turned anyone to this design either.

Why don't you do it yourself?

Who died and left you in charge?

This thread directly opend my eyes to upfiring speakers, and my upcoming speakers will be upfiring and floor coupled - only because of this thread.

You really don't contribute anymore. To begin with you were annoying, then you really contributed, and now you are just annoying again.

I did provide some measurements of my flooder tests, like two years ago :D What I remember the first (ceiling) reflection was stronger than the direct sound at high frequencies.
Sorry that I didn't remember. :eek: Do you have a link or remember a "buzzword" to lead my search to your post?
Was that flooder "approved" by graaf for "realistic" rendering and no artificial pin-pointing?

Rudolf

Sorry that I didn't remember. :eek: Do you have a link or remember a "buzzword" to lead my search to your post?
Was that flooder "approved" by graaf for "realistic" rendering and no artificial pin-pointing?

Rudolf

Looks like I posted them in August 2010, so it was three years ago :eek: Who could not remember that :D

See posts #1484 and #1485 in this thread.

Here are the most relevant pics again.

Speaker in flooder arrangement at the floor firing to ceiling, measured at the listening posisition:
The ceiling reflection at about 6 ms.
12C_lattialla_ylC3B6spC3A4in_multireso_wavelet.png

And here the same speaker in normal direct firing arrangement at ear height, measured at the listening position:
Floor reflection at about 2.5 ms.
12C_2m5_multireso_wavelet.png

The flooder presentation was surely no-pinpoint. Also there was no sweet spot either, but everywhere in the room the sound was about the same. And overall spaciousness was somehow increased over normal stereo triangle.

But what I did not like about flooder at that time was the lack of small detail in the sound itself I noticed missing. I was comparing the sound to my dipole line arrays at that time, which of course has much higher directivity over the flooder.

- Elias