Difficult choice: Sennheiser HD599, HD600 or HD650

what's driving them? the HD599 with its lower impedance is likely easier for portable, battery powered devices to drive cleanly than the HD600/HD650.

If you're driving each as best as possible, "MY" opinion is the HD600 sounds most analytical/clean, the HD599 sounds more "fun" (a little more emphasis on the low end) and the HD650 splits the difference and has a less bright high end than the HD600.
My personal preference is for the HD600, but the bulk of my listening is done on HD598, which has a more realistic sounding low end than the HD599 to me and does a good job on the mids and highs, relative to the HD600. I wear glasses and the HD598 a little more comfortable for long term listening than the HD600 for my head.

It would be best for you to try them all for a few days each; your hearing & the shape of your head have a pretty big impact on the validity of any recommendations you get.:)

good luck!

Hi girls and guys. I have a stupid question. What's better to buy: Sennheiser HD599, HD600 or HD650? Which sound clearly and better?.. :)
p/s: I'm using Sennheiser HD558 and HD 280 Pro (outdoors).
thanx. :D

Only pair i ever heard are my 650's, which were always a little warm and laid back to my taste. From what all i have read the 600's would probably have suited me better. But i will never sell them because they were made in Ireland, probably the only high end audio product that ever was.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I've never heard the 599s, I currently have the HD6xx, HD598 and HD595. In the past I had HD800, HD700 and HD600. I like the sound of stock HD6xx better than the HD600 and HD650, but not as much as the HD800 and HD820 (not a fair comparison).

Reviews and Ratings - RTINGS.com has a lot of good data on numerous headphones. One thing to be aware of the two massdrop headphones have higher clamping forces than the non-massdrop models. The HD6xx is uncomfortable to me. Changing the earpads to Dekoni elites (fenestrated leather) helped the 6xx improve comfort but also adds a fair bit of cost (~$75) and also changes the sound (not for the better in my opinion). Even with the better earpads the HD6xx aren't comfortable for long listening sessions. That being said the 6xx are still my preferred headphones.

And 2nd question. What's amplifier to make for 300 omh: John Linsley Hood symmetrical headphones AMP from 1985 or opAMP(voltage amplifier)+diamond buffer?.. :)

Attachments

• JLH 1985.gif
    JLH 1985.gif
    10.5 KB · Views: 303
  • Diamond Buffer Class A HPA v2.jpg
    Diamond Buffer Class A HPA v2.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 293
If you can find them, I prefer the HD560 (or HD540) to any of the 600-series.

And 2nd question. What's amplifier to make for 300 omh: John Linsley Hood symmetrical headphones AMP from 1985 or opAMP(voltage amplifier)+diamond buffer?.. :)

It takes some work to make the JLH headphone amp sound good. And most folks will want to add a servo to deal with the DC drift. I'm getting better results using the little 3W "Mini-JLH 1969" modules that can be had for a buck or two, like these:
DC 12V 30V 24V Mini 1969 TIP41C 1 CH Amplifier Assemble Board Pure Class A Sealed multi turn adjustable resistance Module|module dc|module boardmodule amplifier - AliExpress

You'll have to replace/upgrade most of the components on them, and lower the gain to 2X-3X, but they can sound great with 300 Ohm 'phones with a good 12V supply at just 100mA or so bias. At that price you can buy a few and experiment :)

Last edited:
I’ve heard the HD600 and HD650 … the HD650 would be my choice. Has a more natural sounding response … slight more in the bass region , more laid back in the highs. I like both phones and not really a big difference between the two … I’ve heard some say they can’t hear a difference between the two.

The Mass Drop HD6XX is the HD650 … with slightly different look.

JLH 1969 = crap. Tip 41, 35, 36, 42 - ultra crappy BJT for sound, but its excellent for linear power supply. :)
12VDC to low for 300 omh driving. HD650 demanding up to 12V RMS (0,5W).
p/s: I don't buy electric parts and PCB on aliexpress and don't advising to do it to you. ;)

I've never heard the 599s, I currently have the HD6xx, HD598 and HD595. In the past I had HD800, HD700 and HD600. I like the sound of stock HD6xx better than the HD600 and HD650, but not as much as the HD800 and HD820 (not a fair comparison).

Reviews and Ratings - RTINGS.com has a lot of good data on numerous headphones. One thing to be aware of the two massdrop headphones have higher clamping forces than the non-massdrop models. The HD6xx is uncomfortable to me. Changing the earpads to Dekoni elites (fenestrated leather) helped the 6xx improve comfort but also adds a fair bit of cost (~$75) and also changes the sound (not for the better in my opinion). Even with the better earpads the HD6xx aren't comfortable for long listening sessions. That being said the 6xx are still my preferred headphones.

Very big thanx for link. I'll order Sennheiser HD560S. :)