High power output PORTABLE headphone amp (1-watt ot more)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Cool-looking amp. Is this one of the old Headwize designs?
Actually, I've got more headamps than I know what to do with! My latest is actually one of the THX AAA designs.
For portable use, I built a modded version of Tangent's PiMETA. And one of my main amps is Tangent's PPAv2.

Back to the high-power CMoy ... no too worried about portable power. Two 9.6v NiMH should be enough.
I just want to make sure the high-power OPA is a good one. I'm willing to splurge a bit on the OPA if that's a good investment.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member

Attachments

• Pocket-Class-A-Schematic.png
    Pocket-Class-A-Schematic.png
    39.8 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:
Output caps

Thx for sharing the schematic.
I don't like caps (DC blocking caps) on the output or input. In all my designs, I either don't use them or servo the output somehow.
I see caps in your SE design. For the output, what are your DC voltage readings (powered up, but with no signal) if you bypassed (shorted) the output caps?

BTW:
In my own personal use, portable (= small, compact, battery pwr) are -- and have been for two decades -- for IEM use only. For non-IEMs, it's a plug-in-the wall headphone amp, diy or commercial. The Tin P2 novel planar IEM is a new device that got me interested in high-power portables. I'l lsee how that goes ... bit I have no interest in powering hd650s or beyer dt-880s with small, portable battery units.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The OPa1622 is a good one and I think one of the posts that vanished was the one where I showed 8 of them parallel together. Send me a PM of you are interested, but the 8x OPA1622 has enough current to drive 8ohm speakers to a few watts. It also is very low distortion and has a pleasing sound.

This PCB had provision for AC coupling but it was bypassed on input and output as you can see the jumpers.

Attachments

• A2507C2E-2393-4473-8D57-C427E02282BB.jpeg
    A2507C2E-2393-4473-8D57-C427E02282BB.jpeg
    955.2 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
Just for fun, let's look at the requirements :

1W rms output, say from 32R to 100R load
Portable, so battery powered, and low quiescent current.
DC coupled, so dual voltage supply.

1W 32R means 250mA. 1W 100R means +/-15V.
You will need a dual polarity charge pump, e.g. LT8582.

A single TPA6120 should do the rest for you, as long as you do not need 1W continuously.

Said nothing about the sound.
But it fulfills your requirements.

Cheers,
Patrick

You will need a dual polarity charge pump, e.g. LT8582.

It's not really a dual polarity charge pump but a dual, multitopology DC-DC converter with integrated switches. It basically requires you to use 0402 components and coupled inductors on a 4-Layer PCB if you want to stick to the layout recommendations. Definitely an interesting part but not that straight forward to implement for DIY projects.

Links would be helpful

There are plenty of high-power headphone amps in this forum subsection, maybe you should look around a bit more...
You seem a bit upset by my comment and I apologise if I offended you. In any case, I don't really have time to search the myriad threads that have accumulated over the years. Links by you or anyone would be more helpful than "maybe you should look around a bit more" (not helpful at all!!).
Thanks!

Two tips from a youngster:

1. If you spend less time watching Youtube videos of questionable quality and value, you might find more time to identify and consume more worthy sources of information (hint: they often come in written form).

2. For a quick overview of popular DIY designs throughout the past years, just sort the threads in a subforum by popularity.

kn0ppers ....

Two tips from a youngster:

1. If you spend less time watching Youtube videos of questionable quality and value, you might find more time to identify and consume more worthy sources of information (hint: they often come in written form).

2. For a quick overview of popular DIY designs throughout the past years, just sort the threads in a subforum by popularity.
And again, kn0ppers, I apologise if I continue to upset you -- the tone and complete lack of requested links is absent from your non-helpful replies. Instead, you reply in a preachy, vitriolic fashion.
If this thread upsets you, please move on.

BTW: I don't think there are any high-power headphone-amp threads (or projects) here on DIYA. But I will happily stand corrected.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.