Beyerdynamic 1770 pro

Just bought a pair of DT990s. Im taking them back. They sound so bad they may be defective, theres a ton of high freq hash on most music. I cant believe this is normal. All the reviews I read were positive.
Most of the Beyerdynamic headphones have problematic treble peaks that can sound very sibilant. I don't know if that is an artifact of diffuse field tuning or something else, but in any case-it is too much for me.

Just by the online measurements and impressions DT1990 would be the only Beyer I would personally take into consideration.

All the recommendations below are quite reasonably priced(and have IMO nicer Harman target like treble).
For a closed headphone I would go for the AKG K371 as it has near prefect Harman target tuning. It's quite cheap as well.
For an open back I would go for the Sennheiser HD6xx(HD650), really hard to beat it for the $200 price point.

I just ordered a pair of Sennheiser 58X from Drop (aka Massdrop), can't tell much yet as they are on the way, but I did look at a few test reviews and customer opinions on thees, and it seems like they are "better" than the 600 series, ie. in comparison to 6XX series more extended deep bass and less articulated highs for less listening fatigue, looking forward to get mine as ASAP.

Just looked around here on DiyA what others had to say, and this is what Salas detailed review had to say:

Yes, they have the HD 6XX for $199.99. This one HD 58x has the 660S's 150Ω driver but they added open cell foam pad behind the mesh and thin paper at the driver's basket opening for some more bass and a tad less treble. You can feel the exterior sounds getting quieter somehow like 3dB down vs fully open cans the moment you wear them on.

I listened to them vs the HD 600 on the DCG3 and on the smartphone. They are two clicks more sensitive on my 24 positions switcher volume pot than the 600 because of lower (half) impedance thus helping for louder volume on the smartphone too. Battery powered mass consumer devices are better in delivering more current than more voltage due to working from a low rail as we all know.

They are less wide than the 600 but more focused and smoother with more satisfying bass. Their stage is more contained but more coherent. My speakers showed that the balance of the 600 is more neutral above midbass but the 58x is nearer to correct in fullness from midbass and below. Fleshing out voices and guitars, delivering some bass thump. The speakers tonally draw a line exactly between them phones across the spectrum. The 600 is nearer in level and detail to the speakers HF but not as silky. The 58x midbass is bit more blown than from the speakers, its HF more reticent in level. Clarity is very good in both models. Stage and projection is different when comparing speakers to any cans of course, the speakers are more persuasive because in actual room space, but talking mainly balance now.

On my musically thinner bodied smartphone output the HD 58x locked a good overall synergy and it was driven to a point that it could be called loud enough, but clearly below solo partying levels, where with the 300Ω HD 600 cans the smartphone (OnePlus X) was just enough to lets call "conservative tastes" in drive and max volume for casual listening.

massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-headphones US buyer
massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-headphones EU buyer (incl. shipping and customs fees)

Last edited:
THis is exactly the type of commentary I was looking for. As a result, I might also be looking at the Hiifiman Sundaras, even if they are open back. The AKG K371s also look intriguing at 1/2 the price.

Hifiman Sundara sounded broken to me. Too much treble energy and there's an edge or etch to the treble that makes it sound harsh. Sibilant on accentuated 'esses', bass light to a fault, okay mids. Also they don't fit that great since their yoke assembly doesn't pivot.

Comes with 1/8" right angle jack but nothing with a 1/8" socket can power them, you'll need beefy amp.

Its like the Beyerdynamic T90 but worse.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Wrenchone, I recently bought the Beyerdynamic DT 1770 pros. I would rate them only "okay", not excellent. For what it's worth, the headphones I like best happen to also be low impedance. The headphones I think are merely "okay" happen to also be high impedance. This may be pure coincidence, or it may indicate that whatever transducer technology results in low-Z, happens to be the transducer which pleases ME the most.

Only okay: Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro (250 ohms) , Sennheiser HD650 (300 ohms)

Excellent: Audio Technica AT-M50x (38 ohms) , Fostex TH900 (25 ohms)

I find that the high-Z headphones sound too polite and reserved, while the low-Z are more visceral. When I change to a different headphone amp, the results don't change: I still prefer the AT and Fostex, over the BD and Sennheiser. This happens with all three of the different HPAs I exhibited at Burning Amp last month (Noir, Azul, Rojo).

I can't comment on the 1770, but I've been using the DT770 Pro's in my commercial recording studio for years. I have never heard a better closed-design headphone. (Though for general listening, I much prefer several open designs.)

If you can ever find a vintage DT770, which is 600 ohms, grab it! I have 2 of them, and maybe 8 of the more modern 250 ohm version, and the older ones have a bit more dynamic range. (As you would expect.) They do require a solid amp, though, with lots of voltage swing. (I use both the Tube Tech PA6 and Benchmark unit.)
FWIW, the 80 ohm version of the DT770 is garbage.

But again, if this is for general music listening, I recommend auditioning open or semi-open cans. The Beyer DT880 is great.
I used to like them for checking during live sound (FOH) mixing. There was a Sennheiser model that I also loved (phenomenal vocal presentation) but I forget the model #.

And finally, if you have a GOOD quality headphone amp, I recommend that you don't bother with low impedance IEMs.

Last edited:
One more thought:

I wonder how good the DT770 and DT880 are, now in 2019.
I went to look at the new 1770 since I didn't know about it, and saw the current prices for those others. Somehow, they both now cost SIGNIFICANTLY less than they did ~ 20 years ago!

So what accounts for this? Penny-pinching loss of quality? Slaver labor? A lousy German economy?
I dunno, but maybe it's wise to look for old ones on Ebay.

cant comment on the 1770 pro but i have DT770 80ohm, Custom one 32ohm and the DT880 Edition 600ohm.

with all Beyer headphones you can change their sound by changing the pads for one of the others in the range.

my DT880's did sound a tad hot in the upper range but this was tamed with using the T1 2nd Gen ear pads which turn a very good headphone into a superb headphone. with the standard pads the 880's sound a bit thin and light in the bass but very open with the T1 2nd gen pads (must be the 2nd gen as the 1st gen are just 880 pads) it reinforces the bass and only reduces the openness very little. put the pleather pads on and its like cannons going off in your ears.

the DT770's sound best with their own pads or the DT880/990 pads if you want to add lots of "air" but loose bass.

the Custom Ones are a funny beast due to their "bass sliders" and sound best with the DT770 pads.

most beyers tend to give you whats on the recording or flaws in the amp hence why a lot of people dont like them.

you can pick the 880's up cheeply these days and considering the price i personally think they are a bargain. if your amp can cope with 600ohm get that version. the Pro version are more anylitical then the Edition ones. any Beyer with Pro are for studio use and not home audio which is another reason some people dont like them.