Beyerdynamic 1770 pro

I have the DT880 pro in 250 ohm.
After my Sennheiser died, I tried to buy the OB-1's, there was a proper hype around them at that time. Helas they were already sold out.
I settled for the DT880 and am still very happy with it.
The only thing I have changed, is that I removed the buttoned cushion from the head band. (i used tiny tiewraps to attach the wire across the head band and imho the metal looks good. )

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
my DT880's did sound a tad hot in the upper range but this was tamed with using the T1 2nd Gen ear pads which turn a very good headphone into a superb headphone. with the standard pads the 880's sound a bit thin and light in the bass but very open with the T1 2nd gen pads (must be the 2nd gen as the 1st gen are just 880 pads) it reinforces the bass and only reduces the openness very little. put the pleather pads on and its like cannons going off in your ears.

I have DT880 chrome special edition 250ohms. They were my second set and never sounded as good as my first set which I gave away to a friend who thought they sounded great. Thinking I would just replace them. Nope, even had Beyer send me new ones because these measures low in sensitivity. Next set still not as good. So there is definitely some thing going on and I wonder if it’s something to do with the pads?!

First time I have heard that leather pads can transform them to bass monsters.

Do you have a link for leather pads that fit DT880’s?

I have DT880 chrome special edition 250ohms. They were my second set and never sounded as good as my first set which I gave away to a friend who thought they sounded great. Thinking I would just replace them. Nope, even had Beyer send me new ones because these measures low in sensitivity. Next set still not as good. So there is definitely some thing going on and I wonder if it’s something to do with the pads?!

Try the Brainwavz pads.

Headphone Memory Foam Earpads - XL Size - PU Leather (Various Colours) - Brainwavz Audio

trust me when i say this.. you dont want the softskin pads, it hurts your ears as there is waaaayyyy to much bass. if you really want to you just need to buy the Custom One "softskin" they are all the same so choose your colour..

add more money and get the T1 2nd gen pads instead.. you will not be disappointed ;) it seems a lot of money just for pads but they last a looong time. BTW the T1 2nd gen pads are not like any others that beyer do, it must be the T1 2nd Gen.

another top tip is to "bend" the headband so the cups are not forced onto your head.

Last edited:
I'm still looking for a good mid-priced set of cans, but in the meantime, I scored an old pair of Yamaha YH-1 orthodynamic headphones in good condition. I intend to open them up and apply the hard felt damping treatment that's supposed to transform them into electrostatic-killers. I'll see then if all the bally-hoo is true...

My Sennheiser HD58X Jubilee from Drop arrived yesterday and have spent a few hours listening to music of few different genres, fairly deep and controlled bass, upper bass to lower mids a bit on the warmer side, good vocal separation, treble has some extra energy somewhere around 4,5-6kHz deciding from playing with the EQ settings, otherwise detailed without any hint of smeared out hash.
Overall there are a good amount of fine granularity, micro details and firm control over quite a broad range of the audio band which is perhaps the most compelling strength of these headphones, music such as blues, jazz, classic, electronic did quite well on these, but doing pixel peeping of audio also shows to be quite a schizophrenic exercise due to some recordings simply didn't sound good at all while others were quite the opposite, which of course can be a general problem assessing any headphone or loudspeaker, perhaps when they did shine together with a good recording is telling of their potential.

When it comes to the physical appearance they appear to be quite solid without any squiggle in the hinges etc. despite the amount of plastic details, but the clamping force is on the tighter side, they sit snug on the head and wont come of by moving the head violently, but I came to the conclusion that what made these a bit uncomfortable due to the clamping force is the rather thin and pointy ear pads, they could have been thicker with a wider contact area and softer in order to better spreading out the pressure more evenly, and better following the head contour around the ears.

That's my quick review of Sennheiser HD58X Jubilee, time will tell how they grow on me.

HD58X Jubilee (Drop) | DIY-Audio-Heaven

Reactions: 1 user