• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Folsom EC7293: PVI Powered Frontend, 60/120w 8/4ohm

Can anyone shed any light on what types of sound quality or sonic differences I can expect by using a larger value input capacitors and larger value feedback capacitors?

I have an old pair of flat stack Jupiter caps that I was thinking I could use for the input caps but it is the lowest cap value per the specs.

Thanks

Can anyone shed any light on what types of sound quality or sonic differences I can expect by using a larger value input capacitors and larger value feedback capacitors?

I have an old pair of flat stack Jupiter caps that I was thinking I could use for the input caps but it is the lowest cap value per the specs.

Thanks

There is none. The only concern for input is the corner frequency, to make sure you're not cutting off bass. So they need to be the right value for that, everything over is just extra money spent with zero effect on the sound. The feedback is basically the same, if you have 1000uf caps you want to try that's fine.

All of the sound quality is differences that aren't explained with cap values.

The boards are:

EC7293+G4LEDR PCB $45ea (you'll need 2, to make a stereo amp)
DualPole PSU PCB $40ea (you need 1, 2 for dual mono)
Shipping USA $8
Shipping International $16

The DualPole is the power supply board.

You'll need either 1 or 2 transformers depending on if you want to go dual mono or not. The PCB boards do not come populated or with parts. I send a BOM (bill of materials) that has all the parts listed you'll need. Also you'll need a little bit of wire along with your list as well, in order to connect everything.

Just a quick note that you do not need a heat sink anywhere near what I am using. I played the amp for over half an hour and it did not even start to get warm. The LED is hot so do not touch it ( yes I could not resist) but the heat quickly dissipates.
The build was very relaxing to do and I really enjoyed it.
I have not adjusted the DC trim and the speaker I am using is "meh". Comparing Jeremy's 7297 amp and this 7293 on the same "meh" speaker, the 7293 is, to my ears, just on another level over the 7297. When I made the 7297 I first noticed that I was able to hear separate instruments rather than "music". With the 7293 I can now hear the "character" of the instruments. As an example I can differentiate between two guitars rather than hear two guitars. In one song a cutting board is used in the percussion and I can now recognize the cutting board. Once I get both boards up and running I will hook them up to my X-LS and once I finish the kuartlotrons I will hook them up to my GR Research Wedgies and 12" dual servo amps.
I originally bought the boards to support Jeremy as I really liked his 7297. I had no idea, or had any expectations that his 7293 would sound this much better, even on a "meh" speaker. I cannot wait to get this amp hooked up to the Wedgies and servo amps.

Paul, I would love to get more of your feedback if you have had the chance to try the amps with the X-LS and Wedgies.
I am currently using the X-Statiks (soon getting NX monitors which are quite similar to the wedgies) with an Arcam avr300. I'm still a newbie to the audiophile world an always open to comments, suggestions from the more experienced.

Paul, I would love to get more of your feedback if you have had the chance to try the amps with the X-LS and Wedgies.
I am currently using the X-Statiks (soon getting NX monitors which are quite similar to the wedgies) with an Arcam avr300. I'm still a newbie to the audiophile world an always open to comments, suggestions from the more experienced.

I currently have the X-LS hooked up to Jeremy's first amp in my garage. I will try to hook up his new amp to the X-LS so that I can do a decent side by side test. I am too swamped with work to finish the kuartlotrons so that I can hook the new amp to the servo subs and wedgies.

Paul

I am looking at this chassis (for 2 x mono)

2109 Aluminum Preamplifier enclosure/case/ amplifier chassis BOX with heatsink | eBay

Is there any reason why this wouldn't work? I tried to click on the 2U recommended in the BOM, but the link doesn't work and couldn't base my research on the dimensions on that chassis.

My guess is no that it wouldn't be possible to get into that case.

DIYaudio changes their store around sometimes, sorry about that. Here's the link now.

Dissipante 2U – diyAudio Store

Am considering a Winter project and the LXMini+2 and the Pass analog xover (when available) are tempting to me. Was curious how this might work with the mini. Am guessing it might be good for the 2 higher drivers but might lack for the subs. Am curious of more than 2 board might be driven off the PS? Guessing no, but who knows.

Enjoying a Whammy with a 7297 right now :)
Thoughts?

50w is recommended for the subs, and the EC7293 will put out 60w into 8ohm. It would drive all of this just fine because you can't crank the mids and midtweet very high.

More than 2 boards off of one PSU board could be ok powering these speakers, since the two smaller drivers won't take a ton of power. But it would be a bit undersized unless you increased the capacitance on them from the stock amount amount for driving other things. (I'm not sure how high you can go, it's limited by capacitor diameter and availability). The highest that'll fit that I've seen is 18kuf, which isn't a big bump, but could be used for this instance if you wanted.