• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Folsom EC7293: PVI Powered Frontend, 60/120w 8/4ohm

I have the Pesante 2u chassis for a dual mono setup and heat sinks on the way from heatsink USA. I’m wondering what the best setup would be between:
A: Mount heatsink to back of chassis.
B: Mount heatsink to back of chassis but cut out section of the steel chassis plate so chips could mount directly to aluminum heatsink
C: Just mount it inside with adequate ventilation.

I assume B is best but not sure it’s necessary and not sure if A is any better than just mounting inside since you have the additional interface between the steel chassis and heatsink.

Last edited:
I had the 7293 connected to a pair of X-LS and it was lovely. I liked it much better than Folsom's previous amp and that is saying a lot as I loved his previous amp. I build four of them. One for my office (to be replaced by the 7293), one in the garage, one for my son (he now has the X-LSs), and one for a gift to a fellow audiophile (he loved the amp as well). In the near future I will put the 7293 with my wedgies and servo subs. Unfortunately I missed a mistake I made when I rewired the amps and I now have to build another........ only have myself to blame.

Paul

Last edited:
It appears that the MAX07NG clip may be easier for mounting. It is preferable for better contact with the keratherm.

Without good contact using just mica and shoulder washer too much heat can create the possibility of losing isolation. I'm going to only recommend the clip and keratherm from now on for this project.

I have the Pesante 2u chassis for a dual mono setup and heat sinks on the way from heatsink USA. I’m wondering what the best setup would be between:
A: Mount heatsink to back of chassis.
B: Mount heatsink to back of chassis but cut out section of the steel chassis plate so chips could mount directly to aluminum heatsink
C: Just mount it inside with adequate ventilation.

I assume B is best but not sure it’s necessary and not sure if A is any better than just mounting inside since you have the additional interface between the steel chassis and heatsink.

A or B. C wouldn't be enough without a heatsink also attached.

A or B. C wouldn't be enough without a heatsink also attached.

Just getting around to final assembly... option C does have the heatsink (attached with clips and keratherm pads). There are vents above and below so I’m thinking it should be adequate?

Attachments

• 2ACE9511-3007-434F-908E-22DE42D711DB.jpg
    2ACE9511-3007-434F-908E-22DE42D711DB.jpg
    995.8 KB · Views: 439
I'm sorry to inform you but this cooler would only be adequate for the 7297. As per notes, recommendations where for something like 2U sized or better. You're doing an excellent job but you need to greatly increase the heatsink size and I would mount it outside for more airflow than those vents supply. I feel bad about having to "burst your bubble" but anything is better than having to resolder on new chips!

DSC_8239-1100x1100_27aede61-3589-4845-bc73-bf4df4c0f78b_1024x1024.jpg

I'm sorry to inform you but this cooler would only be adequate for the 7297. As per notes, recommendations where for something like 2U sized or better. You're doing an excellent job but you need to greatly increase the heatsink size and I would mount it outside for more airflow than those vents supply. I feel bad about having to "burst your bubble" but anything is better than having to resolder on new chips!

Glad I asked, definitely better to know now ha! That is one of the 2u enclosures but different line (pesante vs dispante). Shouldn’t be too bad to either arrange it so heatsink is outside (and get larger ones) or just roll with the dispante enclosures. Thanks for the help.

Glad I asked, definitely better to know now ha! That is one of the 2u enclosures but different line (pesante vs dispante). Shouldn’t be too bad to either arrange it so heatsink is outside (and get larger ones) or just roll with the dispante enclosures. Thanks for the help.

Do you have information on that heatsink? I could double check to see if it could work if mounted on the outside of the enclosure. It just looks inadequate - I could be wrong. The real issue is for you to mount it means permanently modifying the enclosure to be able to take a reading to see if it's going to work. I apologize for the haste early reply, I should be checking closer so you don't have to get another enclosure - but the chance of that still stands.

I need to know the height if that is a 3.500" from Heatsink USA. They're good heatsinks, but I can't tell from the pic (as per my first thought was it was way too small)

Last edited:
I'm assuming it's the Heatsink USA. The issue would be you could only run easy 8ohm loads on it. If you have 16ohm speakers then ****, just leave it as is! But if you ever want to use 4ohm speakers, or even 8ohm speakers that are secretly 4ohm woofers, you need to upgrade heatsink size.

It might be possible to get away with the same enclosure with internal mounting by using a very wide heatsink the height of the enclosure and a copper bar just big enough for the chips and clips that is bolted to the heatsink, with a thin amount of thermal paste between them. (the copper bar acts like a heat spreader) It's not something I can promise on though without testing.

I'm assuming it's the Heatsink USA. The issue would be you could only run easy 8ohm loads on it. If you have 16ohm speakers then ****, just leave it as is! But if you ever want to use 4ohm speakers, or even 8ohm speakers that are secretly 4ohm woofers, you need to upgrade heatsink size.

It might be possible to get away with the same enclosure with internal mounting by using a very wide heatsink the height of the enclosure and a copper bar just big enough for the chips and clips that is bolted to the heatsink, with a thin amount of thermal paste between them. (the copper bar acts like a heat spreader) It's not something I can promise on though without testing.

It is indeed the 3.5” from Heatsink USA. 3” tall (which is what will fit in a 2u height enclosure). What width do you recommend for proper performance?

Seems like the cheapest and easiest way to “do it right” is getting proper width heat sinks and cutting out part of the back of the chassis, though I’m not totally opposed to getting new enclosures (have a couple other projects I’d like to try as well and nice to have them on hand.)

Last edited:
Well you could mount this one inside like you have in the picture; if there's room. You could put all the PSU stuff towards the front. I'm not saying the heatspreader wouldn't be necessary but it's not a bad idea depending on your skill level. The venting top and bottom should be ok. This would allow you to load the amp down. The only problem I could see is if ambient was real hot. Depending on load it may never get hot with that heatsink.