• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Waveguides and horns

No problem, I consider this just agressive lobbying (Its the salesman in me! :D)

I have 3 or 4 individual instersted along with myself for something that is 15" or less in width.

I know all about all horns available these days and there are zero ellipitcal OS choice available and if we just want a 15" OS waveguide we have to go to Geddes. Nothing else is available any more.

18sound has some really nice looking waveguides but the designs jzagaja is offering is unmatched out there in terms of style!!!

I agree with your point that we have zero options for large size horns too! I see no reason that we can not have BOTH orders filled ;)

For those that aren't in the know, meaning me... Are these various horns designed to accept the bolt on style drivers? What I'm getting at is, if I was to get in on this group buy it would only be of interest to me for trying out the GPA 902 or 909 drivers, so I'd want whatever would work best with them, which I have no clue lol ??? I guess they would be crossed over at 1200HZ or thereabouts ???? Thinking on eventually making a diy Altec M19 type cab using the GPA drivers...

Last edited:
Any horn up to 2 meters diameter, min. order 6 pairs or from a list (any quantity).

I think 6 pairs of 150hz is doable. In your prior post, you mentioned that big horns need to be made in 2 pieces. I imagine that you will need to glue the two pieces together. Is it possible to design the horn, so the enduser can easily glue them together. Doing it this way allow us to cut the shipping volume in half, as shipping a pair of horns require just stacking up 4 pieces on top of each other with some fillings in between.

I know all about all horns available these days and there are zero ellipitcal OS choice available and if we just want a 15" OS waveguide we have to go to Geddes. Nothing else is available any more.
;)

Although it is not a "true" Geddes Oblate Spheroid expansion, the "Quadratic Throat" horn by Charles Hughes is quite close. The "white paper" is easy to find on the Web, but it is not very useful. There is a Patent and also a copy of a conference presentation by Hughes and these are posted on the Web.

These (horns / Wavegudes) can be asymmetric (rectangular) and are fairly easy to build yourself (no casting, lathe, or fiberglass invloved). They are fairly close to the the Geddes design, because Dr Geddes goes into a fit whenever someone mentions them.

1.6" entry

Although it is not a "true" Geddes Oblate Spheroid expansion, the "Quadratic Throat" horn by Charles Hughes is quite close. The "white paper" is easy to find on the Web, but it is not very useful. There is a Patent and also a copy of a conference presentation by Hughes and these are posted on the Web.

These (horns / Wavegudes) can be asymmetric (rectangular) and are fairly easy to build yourself (no casting, lathe, or fiberglass invloved). They are fairly close to the the Geddes design, because Dr Geddes goes into a fit whenever someone mentions them.

Too bad they manufacture it with a 1.6 inch entry.
Peavey.com :: High Frequency Horns

I have the QSC HPR-152i waveguides already, they measure very, very well and are $14 so we can not go wrong on that front.

What I want is a specific look that follows a specific science. A Small Iwata (no more then 15" wide) is what I really, really want. Im not sure what frequency that is but I LOVE the look.

Also I have a question on the OS12WG, what is the size of the throat on that, I would assume 1"?

An example.

Attachments

• 148_untitled-2_copy.jpg
    148_untitled-2_copy.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 1,642
You would too if someone ripped off your design and didn't make a single mention of this fact. The whole thing was the most agregious and unethical ripoff that has ever happened to me.

Ripoff? That is when somebody charges too much!!

They are asymmetric :p so they will sound better, they look better and they cost way way less. I think I'll buy a pair or two! :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug20

------------------------------------------

You would too if someone ripped off your design and didn't make a single mention of this fact. The whole thing was the most agregious and unethical ripoff that has ever happened to me.
-----------------------------
Like I said, at least one engineer finds the Oblate Spheroid and the Quadratic Throat designs to be "uncomfortably close" to one another.

The thing I like about the Quadratic Throat "design" is that in those papers (patent and confernce presentation) there are some good thoughts on how to implement the transition from the circular throat to the rectangular shape.

I think this would be a nice DIY project (not requiring a large number of power tools) that you could scale to whatever mouth size and throat size you wanted.

I think this would be a nice DIY project (not requiring a large number of power tools) that you could scale to whatever mouth size and throat size you wanted

I just want to buy well made and great looking waveguides at a low price. I do not have the proper tools or skills to build my own. I would like to build a wooden one to hear the difference in the sound (if there is any) but again no equipment for that.

Letting a horn group buy turn into Geddes-bashing is more than a little ridiculous and bewildering to me. Am I expected to believe free market economics don't apply to horns and waveguides? I'm excited by the opportunity of buying a big horn at a good price, please keep on topic.