Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks?

Soooo, it is finally in the system. The driver has been shelved for years, so I expect it will burn in again. The amp driving it is underpowered. So will clock some hours of burn in and will improve the amplification before I can seriously describe and review it

So far, though, it's already a great success. I let the AV receiver do its Audyssey autoEQ thing to integrate the BiB. My daughters and my wife did not immediately notice anything different, but commented that the music suddenly had more rhythm and drive. I can't phrase it any better, actually.

Looking forward to some more burn in and more amplifier power! And some frequency response measurements.

Reactions: 1 user
I have been slowly chipping away at this threat, very informative.
I was looking for some guidance on choosing an fs for a build. I'm planning on using the Dayton Audio PS-180 6.5" FR driver.
Fs 58.5
Vas 28L
Qts. .33

I did a practice run BIB build with a Visaton FR-10
Fs 90
Vas 2.29
Qts .67
I was very suprised and pleased with the amount of bass, and the width of the range. So I decided to build a bigger one with a higher quality driver to use as my main listening speakers.
Back to the Daytons, I have seen it suggested here that tuning below fs is a good idea in some situations, I'm wanting to tune this as low as I can while keeping the wide base range. How low would someone with a few builds under their belt suggest pushing the limit. I'm looking at an fs in the range of 48- 58.5 Hz.
A few things;
I have been doing the dimentional calculations witht the BIB Calculator Ver. 2
My ceiling is way to high to load off of ( 18+ feet)
Frequency range of driver per Dayton website is 48-25k
48 hz is the lowest I can go while leaving room for the back of the driver to clear the center divider

What might be the pros and cons of an fs choice in the 48-58.5 range,
Thanks

A few things;
I have been doing the dimentional calculations witht the BIB Calculator Ver. 2
My ceiling is way to high to load off of ( 18+ feet)
Frequency range of driver per Dayton website is 48-25k
48 hz is the lowest I can go while leaving room for the back of the driver to clear the center divider

What might be the pros and cons of an fs choice in the 48-58.5 range,
Thanks
The BIB excel-sheet calculates an alignment of a pipe horn that is proven to work and has a practical and historical basis. But there isn't a hard border around that alignment, it doesn't stop being a BIB or a viable pipe horn when you step a bit left or right if its results. So firstly, there is no pressing reason why you shouldn't go a bit higher or lower than what the excel-sheet dictates.

If the depth of the cabinet becomes an issue, you can double up the baffle, the driver will protrude into the interior less. Just remember to chamfer the cutout enough to prevent reflections. You can also change the aspect ratio of the cabinet a bit. The chosen aspect ratio of the Excel-sheet is deliberately chosen for best performance/guiding sound waves through the bend, but it still works if you deviate a bit.

BIBs are half wavelength pipe horns, when you base your calculations on Fs of the driver, the poor is tuned to half that. Driver Fs is 58.5Hz, which would give a 28-ish Hz cut off. It is recommended to not go lower than about 0.7 times driver Fs, which would be 40.95Hz, giving 20.5-ish Herz.

I have tuned BIBs to that 0.7*Fs and to 2*Fs and both scenarios made for loudspeakers with excellent bass, so I think it's more important what you want our of this. My BIBs have always been my main loudspeakers in our living room. We listen to pop music, reggae, chamber music, large symphonic orchestra music, we watch movies, watch the news etc. BIBs with a 40Hz cut off (so based on an 80Hz tuning frequency in the excel-sheet) were absolutely adequate for pop and reggae and watching the news. I really found them lacking for movies and symphonic music.

I'd go as low as you can. 😇

Meanwhile, my tangband W69-1042 bib is hard to judge. It is running up to 200Hz. When I switch off its amp, a huge chunk of the sound is missing, it is doing a lot. Yet when it is turned on, you'd never guess there was a separate bass system or crossover in the system. It is a very fine and subtle device in that regard. And it alleviates the "satellites" of a lot of work and that is very audible as well.

I opened one up to see what's inside and see if I could maybe fit another driver in there. The other driver didn't fit, but check out this vintage gem! I suspect its frequency response is a little too rough for my AV receiver's auto EQ (Audyssey) to handle. It sounds good, with hints of brilliance and also hints of.... hmmmm not brilliance but the feeling that it's correctable. Perhaps time to do some dedicated filtering on it.

Anyway, the BIB is in a certain location and it's clearly not the best place for it. My other bass BIBs where in another corner, which gave less seat to seat variance and a response that was overall less affected by room modes. It sounds really good at some places, but obviously nowhere near a listening position. I want to move it, but my wife remembers how adding a second subwoofer years ago improved sound tremendously, so she says I should just build another for the other corner. 🥰

I am very seriously considering that, but am uninspired to do any measurements while it's in its current location. I also think it sounds kind of tame compared to earlier experiences with this driver and back then I was using a much more capable amp. So there is some switching and of components to do before I decide if it is a big success.

Well, that very fine crossoverless sound while crossing at 200Hz, with a single bass cabinet, is a very big success. I love that.

1000034343.jpg
1000034345.jpg