Babb Lorelei info?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If I wasn't holding them in my hands, I would doubt these full-range drivers ever existed due to the absolute vacuum of info about them available on the net--specifically user reviews and any data beyond a low-rez FR graph and basic T/S params.

Anyone?

Do these need any notch or shaping filters?

What about alignments?

Below is a sim of a 1 cu. ft. sealed and a 2 cu. ft. PR alignment tuned to 18Hz. :bigeyes:

Any and all info--even anecdotal--would be welcome.

Attachments

• lorelei alignments 1.jpg
    lorelei alignments 1.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 1,189
No information, but definite curiosity

I've looked at their website, but have seen no other information anywhere about them. My guess is that the price of admission keeps the casually curious from any experimentation with them. I saw a pair on ebay a couple of weeks ago, but someone else had greater curiosity than I did.

Please keep us posted on what you find out about them.

Any first listening impressions?:D

That curiouser someone was I. :angel:

They were delivered yesterday, so no listening impressions yet. They are massively heavy for their size! I have only vague recollections of in-depth discussions about them on the (other) full-range driver forum, but I'm intrigued and seriously considering pushing them to the front of my project list.

With GM's kind permission, I'll copy some comments he emailed me today about his experience with Lorelei drivers:

My actual auditioning time consisted mostly of one
night comparing them to Jim Griffin's 1st gen line
arrays in a large, highly reflective, but empty, hotel
convention room the night before an Atlanta DIY Meet.

In concept, it's a very high linear excursion,
aperiodically loaded, very low compression driver with
the fixed grill being configured as a phase plug. As
such, no cab is required if you're willing to drive it
to its limits, or a 1 ft^3 cab to get max LF gain down
to Fs out of it. Being extremely inefficient, mucho
power is required for best dynamics. 250W was the most
we had no tap that night, which was adequate for the
room/listening distance. Alan said they could easily
handle his 400Wer, but at the time hadn't done any max
power testing so didn't know what the real limit is.

snip

...they had no audible thermal power compression when hitting
the 250Wer's limiter.

snip

My only real gripe with the design was the super wide
polar pattern that required you either sit so close
that it was only suitable for a tiny room or HT setup,
or so far away in a large enough room that first
reflections of any amplitude were down in the BW where
our hearing just summed it as one huge source.

In the latter scenario they blew the doors off JG's
line arrays in every way I judge a speaker's
performance ....

snip

Except for the ~8 kHz spike, they were very tonally
balanced in both the large and my medium sized rooms,
with a slightly 'in yer face' presentation, like a
compression horn, but then this is my preference. For
a more laid back presentation, I would experiment with
tightly stretching various density cloths over the
grill rather than using any electronics. I'm a firm
believer in acoustic solutions to acoustic problems.

coincidentally...I just found a pair of Alan's speakers in one of my bins. I knew I had a pair somewhere! they are the 954 or 958(I'll measure later), 6"x9" oval ones, I think intended for auto use. It was an opportunity buy a long time ago.
I hooked them up today on a less than perfect open baffle. They're pretty good, what surprised me was the high frequency extension and detail, wow...I wonder how high they go. Definitely higher than my FE166E-SRs, nice clear midrange too. I'm almost tempted to keep them...but I think they're headed for the trading post.
I'm cleaning house and selling everything I don't need.

The Bad news and the Babb news

Well,

It is true that I closed down the manufacturing. The hurricanes in Florida where the straw that broke the back. Our regular line of speakers where sold heavily into the marine market, because of the water proof design, in Florida for many years. The post 911 economy flushed our cash reserves and then a few little waves caused a whole lotta hurt.

There is a fairly good probability that a new company will continue the product line. The necessary manufacturing assets were purchased at auction by an entity that is looking at starting upi the manufacturing again. I should be able to give more info in a few weeks.

Any drivers that were purchased via ebay where acquired at that same auction. This auction was not held by Babb Company. Any finished product from that auction is actually not new product and is either final QC test rejects or actual warranty returns. BUYER BEWARE!!! You will not get these fixed or replaced by the new company. They have no legal or moral obligation to replace anything. As the new company is not something I am involved in as anything more than a design consultant.

Alan Babb

Thanks for chiming in, Alan!

Well, I just tested my Loreleis naked (them, not me), and they sound wonderful. No apparent malfunction--phew!

Closer physical examination revealed a possible reason for warrenty return: there's a flaw in the finish on the back of one. There's a patch of textured undercoat missing, but it's covered by the black topcoat, so it's easy to overlook. And it'll be invisible inside a box.

Alan, my condolences on your closing. Yes, I'd appreciate you posting any future updates on where your product line goes from here.

You seem to have a really unique and amazing product here in the L6, and I'm glad to have been able to snag a pair. I'm facinated by the engineering you've put into damping the cone--can you tell us a little about it for posterity?

Also, would you be able to post (or email me) a little more of the lorelei info that used to be on your website? I'd hate to see all record of your groundbreaking work disappear in the mists of time.

Bill

Info

I'll have to hook up my old server to pull some data from it. I will try and do that in the next few days.

Actually, my final test standards were pretty strict. There were no production L6's that were not rejects on the premises. You may have a pair that was borderline on the testing and may never hear whatever it was we rejected it for. You could possibly have a pair of R&D experiments. There may have been a pair or two of those that had not been torn down yet in the building.

Hopefully the Lorelei line will hit the market again real soon.

Alan

Sad, sad news

Hi Alan

I am VERY glad to see that you're still around. :) At the same time I am VERY saddened to hear about the company :( :( :( I still believe that the Lorelei is THE most advanced driver I have EVER seen, anywhere. Now that things are finally coming together in my own life I was hoping to do a lot of business with you in the not-too-distant future. Ah well...

To the other members reading that I can only say that I had a lot of dealings and discussions with Alan and I at all times found him to be very approachable, extremely (!!) knowlegable, and just generally an exceptional human being. :up: :nod: It has always been a pleasure for me to deal with him. I just hope the new outfit will come close to being so easy to deal with, but I am still very sad that it will not be Alan himself I will be dealing with. :( :bawling:

Alan to you I just say that I hope all is going well. I remember you mentioning some other businesses in which you were involved with- are you still involved there? Anyway all I wanted to say is that I hope all of the best for you and your family in the future.

Regards,
Deon

Hi there,

do you think you can add to your web site some suggested cabinets for your R and S line and some T/S parameters. Spending that kind of money without knowing Qts is a bit of a gamble so we could atleast have an idea if it is horn loadable or open baffle or ported box.

just some friendly feedback from the DIY community...
Thanks
paba

Specs

You bet, we have made so many changes in the last couple of years - all drivers were in a state of flux. Now that we have a steady line of drivers, we will be working on getting specs on the complete line and posting them on our new web-site. It might be a while as we are small and not many to do much. By the end of the year I am looking to have an unbiased third party doing some testing and posting results. I also might solicit some beta testers to do some listening to some loaners – I will keep everyone informed.

T/S parameters

I will be getting to the T/S parameters in late January or early February. Too many irons in the fire and not enough time. Alan has moved on to Electro Voice and is really happy – engineering to his hearts content. I will post as soon as I have an update for everyone. If you would like to e-mail off our web-site, I would be happy to answer any questions for you.
Thanks,
David

A long time ago Illusus wrote:

I knew I had a pair somewhere! they are the 954 or 958(I'll measure later), 6"x9" oval ones, I think intended for auto use. It was an opportunity buy a long time ago.
I hooked them up today on a less than perfect open baffle. They're pretty good, what surprised me was the high frequency extension and detail, wow...I wonder how high they go.

I worked with Babb speakers like these in the 80's in car audio. I can second their ability with high frequency extension and detail. Low frequency extension was equally impressive, as was efficiency. The quoted F3 was 18kHz, IIRC, and I never had reason to doubt that. Low frequency extension was just as good, probably within an octave of 25Hz for the 6x9's in IB. The 5" weren't far behind, either.
To date, I've heard few comparable sized drivers match their low frequency extension. Literally all they needed was a true subwoofer to round out the system.

In addition, they handled power and abuse like few others. The downside was price. ~$225 for a pair of 5" car speakers was considerable in 1985.

The design at that time was a spiderless aluminum cone with whizzer, large magnet, a plastic basket with permanently intergrated grill. Worked very well in infinite baffle. There was a bit of "in your face presentation", but that balanced well with the plush interiors of many 1980's cars.

Strangely coincidental, I've been trying wanting to experiment with something new and have been thinking through my little stash of drivers for something suitable. Small driver, as FR as possible, that would work in a tall narrow box beside my entertainment center.

Last night on the way home from work, it hit me like a ton of bricks. I have a pair of 4" Babbs, never used, still in the box! I was about to search the group for Babb postings, and here was this...

Unfortunately, I have no experience with the Lorelei's to offer Bill F.

Tim

Babb / DC GOLD AUDIO

The Babb 4" are very nice, we have implemented a couple of changes Alan learned from the Lorelei. I am about to build a small line source (4 on each side) for a home theater for my mom. I am grateful for any pictures of projects completed, if you do not mind my posting on our web-site.
Best of luck,
David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.