Directivity of FR drivers

hi Freedom666 - -

I like those ideas for indirect firing tweeters and have used Audax (and Polydax branded) "bullet" tweeters as helper tweeters. (I miss the wide angle slot radiator tweeters such as ST320 an ST324)

which brands of bullet tweeter are good clones? (they may be branded different for US consumption)

look at a Dynavox cone tweeter and a piece of cardboard.

It might be fun to try a little "FAST" with tweeter K- slot built into a cabinet's front panel.

086oLHT.jpg

u90rgfj.gif

Last edited:
I miss the availability for other folks as have probably 5 of the Selenium 320/324 plus 10 replacement diaphragms (if mice didn't eat them)

That Rat Shack slot tweeter looks ultra - cool! - until the backside with tiny magnet is shown - hahaha

I know the wide horizontal angle didn't match the FR I had but really liked the ST320 and 324

ouDf7pD.gif

Last edited:
Hello Freddi,

you wrote

"hi Freedom666 - -

I like those ideas for indirect firing tweeters and have used Audax (and Polydax branded) "bullet" tweeters as helper tweeters. (I miss the wide angle slot radiator tweeters such as ST320 an ST324)
which brands of bullet tweeter are good clones? (they may be branded different for US consumption)
look at a Dynavox cone tweeter and a piece of cardboard.
It might be fun to try a little "FAST" with tweeter K- slot built into a cabinet's front panel."

I do not know about bullet tweeters. The tweeters I mean and which I measured look like this (watch photo), it is a mix of cone and dome, usually with ferrofluid and they work perfectly with a single capacitor. It should be used a foil type capacitor for better sound. The measurements showed very good results - ruler flat and fine tone. I clearly understand why the industry uses them in thousands. They can be cheaply manufactured by machines.

I never tried the K design. I would like to test it with fullrange drivers in order to get better horizontal dispersion - l would like to read about this. I heard it is called "Karlsson Coupler". If you know a thread or a website about it, I would appreciate.

Hello Cracked Case

You wrote:
"Where should indirect tweeters be pointing ? I've read about rear facing tweeters wired in reverse phase, is this recommended ?
It seems to work for me, but I'd welcome input from people with more experience. "

Where should the tweeter be put?
I always use fullrange drivers in my loudspeaker designs which are EQed - with perfect frequency response and time response.
The side tweeters should be put at the height of the acoustic center of the main driver if you look at the box and you could look through the cabinet watching the main driver. (Look at the photo). This is in order to phase align as good as possible the extra indirect working tweeters.

The tweeters should give no output below 5 Khz because the ear can not hear phase distortions upwards of this frequcency.

If you have big fullrange drivers with a lot of beaming the side tweeters help "open up the sound" a lot.

Attachments

• Audax Tweeter copy.jpg
    Audax Tweeter copy.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 99
  • tweeter position.png
    tweeter position.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I think once you get into diffuse reflections these things become less critical. A dipole's rear treble has reversed polarity and maybe that's where the idea came from, but that's only a consequence of how it functions. You could produce a similar result with two waveguides back to back and in phase. In any case, no one is complaining ;)

Diffusers and Lowthers

— note that to date i have found no whizzer cone drivers that benefit from phase plugs.

dave

I modified a screw in light bulb base to enable screwing it into the diffuser spot for Lowther drivers. I then tried different light bulb shapes as diffusers, in addition to the stock Lowther ones, bullet, holey doorknob and light bulb.

With Lowther mounted in 60 x 30 waveguides, the par 38 light bulbs, shaped like funnels, worked the best. see: http://beauhorn.com/blog/ and conical phaseplug at Audioprogress

I find that this does a very nice job eliminating the beaming from Lowther drivers. The outer dimension of the diffuser shields virtually the entire cone, but not the foam surround. Note that diffusers affect the frequency response, so they can help or hurt the frequency response of full range drivers, which is why trying different diffusers is important.

Retsel

Hi Freedom666 - yes - - the old Audax TW51 type would be excellent for that approach - wide dispersion, extended HF.

http://www.audax.com/archives/AMTW51A - Catalogue 1986.pdf

Here's a bit on the Karlson approach

A Karlson Compendium - Part One - "A New Approach in Loudspeaker Enclosures"

In post 9 there are links to XRK971's various Karlson based projects with the small "Karlsonator" having a small enough tapered aperture to improve horizontal dispersion in the upper octave.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/ful...roach-loudspeaker-enclosures.html#post6354125