Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Betsy coil+resistor top end rounding
Betsy coil+resistor top end rounding
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th September 2020, 10:17 AM   #1
karloff70 is offline karloff70  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Betsy coil+resistor top end rounding

Hi all,

I have built a small pair of open baffles with Wild Burro Betsy's and like them a lot. But I would love to wind down the top end a little. The 'too much' area is about 2.5kHz to 11kHz. Down by a couple of dB would likely do it at a guess. But in reality with one notch it would be more like a bell shaped dig into the area? Basically looking to flatten the response out by taking down 2.5 - 11 but that would take a flat top notch filter. Is that a thing achievable with some passive parts?

I am completely ape-like when it comes to passive parts values knowledge, by it seems the right size air coil plus the right size resistor could help here, even without a cap? Or with a cap?

Any help very appreciated indeed.
Old 29th September 2020, 10:23 AM   #2
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

You could do it passively before the amp by experimenting with this Baffle Step Compensation It's easily adjustable and scalable.
Old 30th September 2020, 07:56 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you, that looks interesting. Would give the option of setting the top amount by ear with a dial, I like that. But it will need a psu and more faff. Kind of keen to do this in an as minimal way as possible with just an air coil and resistor if I can get the harsh out a little that way.
Old 30th September 2020, 09:42 AM   #4
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

'Sounds' like CD horn EQ is what you're wanting, if so, then a parallel notch filter: Parallel]DIY Audio & Video Notch Filter Designer / Calculator Help

GM
Old 30th September 2020, 10:17 AM   #5
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karloff70 View Post
But it will need a psu and more faff.
Not necessarily, what's your source?
Old 30th September 2020, 04:13 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The amp will be a 3875 gain clone and before that is a passive monitor controller and before that conversion.
Old 30th September 2020, 04:15 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
Greets!

'Sounds' like CD horn EQ is what you're wanting, if so, then a parallel notch filter: Parallel]DIY Audio & Video Notch Filter Designer / Calculator Help

GM
Nice! Thank you. Now, if I was only able to use that formula lol. If I was after something like. 2dB dip all the way from 2.5 to 10, what values would I need to use?
Old 2nd October 2020, 06:05 AM   #8
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

You're welcome!

No clue, I solve acoustic problems with acoustic solutions and assumed one of the XO gurus would answer this Q. Frankly, surprised you can notice such a minimal broadband dip. Normally, just increasing toe-in or out solves such minor adjustments.

GM
Old 2nd October 2020, 08:13 AM   #9
jameshillj is offline jameshillj  Australia
diyAudio Member

I think you may be looking for something called a 'speaker passive shelving filter' - it's included in the modern passive xover design packages but called response profiling or equalization, or something like that.

I haven't been able to find the old books on this but the Vance Dickason's "Loudspeaker Design Cookbook" will most probably have it - it's a pretty simple technique, once you get the idea.
Old 2nd October 2020, 08:27 AM   #10
jameshillj is offline jameshillj  Australia
diyAudio Member

Another one is the old book by G A Briggs (Wharfedale) - it's quite old now but just as relevant and explains the idea quite well - I think you can get it from Amazon, believe it or not!

Somewhere there's a site devoted exclusively to the Betsy driver and I think Caintuck Audio have done lots of work on this

Betsy coil+resistor top end roundingHide this!Advertise here!