NASA consultant John Karlson, his little KR5 "Rocket" and Rise of the Klam projectors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Alan Weiss, who held the last K patent (now expired), manufactured a little 8 inch klam, loaded with Radio Shack's version of the Pioneer "BOFU".

Lars Moseholm did measurements and calculations for this little klam. If listened to close, I would try some damping such as felt and melamine sponges in the front chamber and damping in the rear chamber.

These were made of MDF -- the graphs were from my plywood clone based on its dimensions. I don't know if I kept much of Job Ulfman's K-forum where Alan participated.

Klam 10 with the correct aperture, a good 10CX, felt in the front chamber, should be a nice performer in a small package - IF one wants to try a klam. Perhaps building klam8 like Carl's klam10 would work well too - ?

btw - that's Beta8cx's woofer only in the outdoors graph with the embedded klam8 picture. That other graph comparing klam8 to
my flawed aperture klam10 is interesting - that's the old B102 with qts=0.23. Its really good in a K12.

Attachments

• WEISS KLAM PAIR 12280.jpg
    WEISS KLAM PAIR 12280.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 198
  • KLAM8SAMQTCIY6.GIF
    KLAM8SAMQTCIY6.GIF
    53.6 KB · Views: 200
  • KLAM10KLAM8FR6THTM8.GIF
    KLAM10KLAM8FR6THTM8.GIF
    25.1 KB · Views: 194
  • KLAM8DISPJPG.JPG
    KLAM8DISPJPG.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
If a Rocket could have the response as advertised it could serve as a replacement for the BIC America side speakers in my system (and look cool while doing so). However I occasionally blow the midrange so the drivers would have to handle some wattage. I wonder how little Bose cubes can handle so much power?

Also a scaled Rocket might make a cell phone enclosure similar to the folded cardboard one posted for a transistor radio.

Last edited:
I had a pair of Karlson Rockets for a couple of days - gave them away to my buddy Carl and to the late Martin Poppe. It was far from Hi-Fi with the 160Hz 3 ounce ferrite slug CTS radio speaker having very little highs and no bass. Looking at the picture, how big do you figure the back chamber to be? - seems like it'd be no more than 100 cubic inches ? 3FE22 would work in that volume.

Maybe - say a Faital Pro or Lavoce 3"-4" fullrange with significant on-axis response rise would sound decent. Note the baffle is tilted.

With a modern fullrange, it could be fun. Perhaps foam core for starters ? Cardboard and duct tape ?

Last edited:
Not a Klam but 6x9 reminded me that at one time this was my rear speaker sitting in the back seat of a Jeepster Commando. The vent was an array of drilled holes in the 1⁄2 ply. It was better than the front speaker, it's dead now.

I thought about having K12s built into the ceiling of my den when I built my house but gave it up when I realized ceiling joists inconveniently ran the wrong way. That's when I switched to BIC Venturi bookshelf speakers, now replaced with BIC Americas with subwoofer.

Attachments

• 0920201616 - Edited.jpg
    0920201616 - Edited.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
K15 can trounce some FLH and decimate bass reflex. for agility and slam. I prefer my K12 on a certain keyboard track to my Klipschorns and certainly to my FH1 Peavey FLH.

They tend to sound more natural with slapped or bowed upright bass than direct radiator or horn.

They are worth investigation.

Here's a klam10 and klam12 by Carl Neuser - - klam 12 I think here is sporting a trax opening. Note the shininess of their long plate - with the Karlson-Oliver Phase III speaker, there was a sheet of plastic, maybe 0.05" bonded to the long plate.

Attachments

• klam10 klam12.jpeg
    klam10 klam12.jpeg
    150.1 KB · Views: 224
Acoustic Loading

K15 can trounce some FLH and decimate bass reflex. for agility and slam. I prefer my K12 on a certain keyboard track to my Klipschorns and certainly to my FH1 Peavey FLH.

They tend to sound more natural with slapped or bowed upright bass than direct radiator or horn.

Probably due to their claimed full range acoustic loading of the driver.

Likewise, didn't Karlson also work with 6th order bandpass (a true Helmholtz resonator)?

Far more natural sounding than pistonic driver motion, to my ears.

>7. ASHTRAY. An extremely simple design for an ash tray which quickly extinguishes cigarettes.

Let me guess. Insert cigarette into Karlson aperature. Push down into the part where the two curves make the thin slot. Burning head neatly sliced off - falls into tray (where the speaker would be).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.