New SBA 8" Full Range driver

Chatting with my distributor...

-- Yesterday. --
Me: Have you seen the new 8" FR driver from SBA?
Them: Oh, no, not yet. It does look interesting, but the website says "Coming Soon". We will call them to find out.

-- Today. --
Them: We are ordering a bunch. Do you still want to buy a pair?
Me: Absolutely!

:D

Didn't tell me when it will come. It's ok. I'm not in a hurry, but will still be fun to play with those, I think!

I'm not in a hurry, but will still be fun to play with those, I think!

Same here :)

What are you thinking of doing with them? Going full-range?

I'm probably going for a compact sealed, most likely close to textbook 2nd order bessel somewhere around 200hz to the Faital 12" in a ported volume. Most likely put the port between the 8" and the 12" somewhere.

Looking at what I've ended up with on the Fane 15-300TC, I think amongst the first things I will try are some narrow notches somewhere in the vicinity of 2.4khz, 3.4khz and 9.2khz and see if it makes any difference to the big-ish dips.

Reactions: 1 user
First ting will be to put them on a small baffle and break them in.

Then, I'll run DATS to verify the data according to what is posted.

If it follows, I guess my plan will be a MLTL... I'm a fan of MLTL through and through! :)
And the sim does look very nice.

Then, will look at the response and see where it needs a notch.

hahaha - had a hunch - dropped its specs into David McBeans hornresp offset port TL example from the menu with no changes and :)

YyXHiGF.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Hmm, >105 dB/m/50 W/2pi is good enough for THX home reference, so in ~Vas/1.44 vented tuned to Fs could be a great way to get a tonally matched, pretty high SQ, multi-channel system that won't 'break the bank' or eat up much room 'real estate'. ;)

GM