Full range or not?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone :) I've a question. I'm going to build separate enclosures for my WAW FR speakers with different alignment(Fc 95hz Qc1.0 for Woofers and Fc 126hz Qc0.8 for FR). Will there be any problems? Crossover point will be close to 300hz (LR2 Active) as suggested by Planet10.

Not massive from an operating perspective; a Qtc of 0.8 on the wideband isn't likely to affect the acousic high pass all that much. Unlikely for the woofer, although whether you'll like the Fb peaking with a Qtc of 1.0 is another matter. Your call on that front.

Not massive from an operating perspective; a Qtc of 0.8 on the wideband isn't likely to affect the acousic high pass all that much. Unlikely for the woofer, although whether you'll like the Fb peaking with a Qtc of 1.0 is another matter. Your call on that front.

Yes, but i don't want to make new enclosures for my existing sealed woofers. Not worried about midbass peaking because the -3dB point is very high, around 70hz (Fc 95hz at sensitivity/ 93db~1W/1M) and i don't consider this setup as hifi..only diy fun. I choose Qc 0.8 (14L sealed) for FR drivers because of size/design constraint and to maintain 1/4 wavelength criteria. i can make smaller enclosure for shorter driver spacing but i also want as much flatness as possible within size limitation. i thank you for expressing your views :)
Have a good day.

Last edited:
Sorry but It's not about my taste & i was not giving any explanation. I actually made a mistake while making the woofer enclosure which i realized later. In theory a Qtc of 0.707 gives maximally flat response but this is not necessarily the ideal Q. Higher Q gives more LF output below the cutoff frequency at the expense of response peaking. Some consider a Qtc1 as a best compromise alignment, so i look forward to :) Regards.

sometimes its possible to downsize closed box size and flatten the low end peak by inserting a series capacitor. This trick only works when the amplifier output impedance is reasonably low.

Here's that 6" driver sized to Qtc ~1.1 ~ 6 liters size and the effect of a 300uF series capacitor

RsKNHCK.jpg

Sorry but It's not about my taste & i was not giving any explanation. I actually made a mistake while making the woofer enclosure which i realized later. In theory a Qtc of 0.707 gives maximally flat response but this is not necessarily the ideal Q. Higher Q gives more LF output below the cutoff frequency at the expense of response peaking. Some consider a Qtc1 as a best compromise alignment, so i look forward to :) Regards.

Actually, that is a matter of taste since it is a question of personal opinion and 'what you look forward to' rather than being a fixed quantity that is universally applicable. QED. As a minor note, a Qtc of 0.707 is certainly not 'the ideal Q' since no such ideal exists, but in terms of extension the clue is in the name 'maximally flat' (aka 'lowest possible F3). As you increase Q, you raise both Fb and gain peaking around Fb, so if you like or require that, so much the better, the tradeoff being it is at a higher frequency with less output lower down. However, this is a side matter that I merely noted, because the primary object was to answer your question (which I've done) about whether a Q of 0.8 will significantly affect behaviour with an active LR2 high pass at 300Hz. Which is 'not significantly'.

Actually, that is a matter of taste since it is a question of personal opinion and 'what you look forward to'...

You didn't understood me, who doesn't want something better(In your words..'maximally flat aka lower possible F3')? But currently i've no other choice than that
because i don't want to spend to much on these cheap woofers and it's really annoying to start all over again.
I know about different alignments & their effects, there is no need to say anything about that. Since i'm building WAW for the first time i don't want to make any mistakes (time, phase or so) again and this was the reason of my query. It's almost impossible to know everything about audio and acoustic is quite complex(at least for me).
Ok now i don't want to drag this post anymore. I appreciate your input, thank you.

sometimes its possible to downsize closed box size and flatten the low end peak by inserting a series capacitor. This trick only works when the amplifier output impedance is reasonably low.

Nice trick :rolleyes: It reduces peaking quite effectively, maybe 1.5dB or so. I'm not concern about widerangers but somewhat for the Sealed woofers. 1.3dB peak at 125hz(Qtc1.0) :violin:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200707-014511_2.png
    Screenshot_20200707-014511_2.png
    283.2 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
In theory a Qtc of 0.707 gives maximally flat response but this is not necessarily the ideal Q. Higher Q gives more LF output below the cutoff frequency at the expense of response peaking. Some consider Qtc1 as a best compromised alignment..

Err, blunder again :headbash: I've mixed electrical Q with enclosure Q(i was talking to someone then). Actually my query was about woofer+widerange as a whole system(WAW), not only about wideband driver and its Q (driver+box combo). This is what i know about enclosure alignments.. Now i need to rest, thank you all. :wave:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200327-015355~3.png
    Screenshot_20200327-015355~3.png
    171.6 KB · Views: 222
Here i would like to get some technical advice because it's important for me to know what i need to be aware of while designing the system, i mean about crossovers, power distribution(amplifier power) to individual speaker etc. For crossover I'm aiming for LR2 active XO because it is quite easy to diy than LR4. It would be nice if you could say something about your experiences in this regard(WAW).
Informative.

I have zero experience with active XO beyond using a very early ['71, several years before SL published his XO paper] Altec bi-amp system that was a horrible performing waste of $$ that swore me off them and recently from auditioning these speakers done 100% with a dbx DSP whole audio management system that when done sounded like one freaking big single driver system, such that I've forever sworn off passives, T/S spec sealed alignments: Altec Lansing Based Compostela Loudspeaker Review - Audiophile Nirvana

Re WAW, I was taught to solve acoustic problems with acoustic solutions, so having been 'encouraged' to preserve as much tonal balance [aka PRaT] as practical, normally used multiple 'FR' drivers with the mid/HF in whatever cab alignment best overall rolled it off below its power handling limit [normally OB or boxed equivalent due to having very high Q for ~open back tube radio/TV apps], then used damping to fade/blend the woofer to it by ear, which I relied on young women's keen hearing for 'voicing' and assume why when I joined the audio BBs in late '96 had no clue what SAF, SO, SWMBO, etc., meant and once I found out, why anyone had this kind of problem with the 'better half'.

Thanks to some '50s RCA, Jensen speakers, was an early adopter of column/tower BR [aka MLTL nowadays] and corner loaded pipe horns similar to 'BIB' except floor loaded with a vent area [Av] = driver effective area [Sd].

Power wise, depends on the needs of the app, but the basics for inefficient speakers [< 1% = 92 dB/W/m] is to have at least 10 W of Class A in an AB amp and at least +3 dB of dynamic headroom, i.e. double the power likely ever needed to ~ensure never triggering its clipping protection ckt. or +6 dB [4x] to make doubly sure. ;).

If multi-amping, strongly recommend using prosound gain structure theory to choose:
Gain Structure for Home Theater: Getting the Most from Pro Audio Equipment in Your System | Home Theater Forum and Systems

GM

Hi everyone :) I've a question. I'm going to build separate enclosures for my WAW FR speakers with different alignment(Fc 95hz Qc1.0 for Woofers and Fc 126hz Qc0.8 for FR). Will there be any problems? Crossover point will be close to 300hz (LR2 Active) as suggested by Planet10.

Greets!

No way to answer this without knowing driver responses. For all I know either driver could be +/- 6 dB/300 Hz due to differing driver designs. In general you ideally want an octave of flat BW on either side of the XO point per slope order = 75-1200 Hz BW for 2nd order. With cheap drivers, good luck meeting this.

GM

I have zero experience with active XO beyond using a very early ['71, several years before SL published his XO paper] Altec bi-amp system that was a horrible performing waste of $$...
:eek:

Thanks to some '50s RCA, Jensen speakers...
i have never seen Jensen speakers :(
How fortunate you are!

I haven't read it yet, but i'll. All i'm going to do is, same four channel amplifier(gc) with same gain setup(24dB), and a good tone control unit with gain boost between CD/mp3 player and Xo+amplifiers.

Greets!
No way to answer this without knowing driver responses. For all I know either driver could be +/- 6 dB/300 Hz due to differing driver designs. In general you ideally want an octave of flat BW on either side of the XO point per slope order = 75-1200 Hz BW for 2nd order. With cheap drivers, good luck meeting this.
GM
I said cheap but that doesn't mean bad :rolleyes: i believe my woofers are good upto 800hz-1Khz without break up & widerangers upto 8K or more. But that's just my assumption :D On the other hand, though Planet10 recommends to Xo below or close to 300hz(because of some good reason), i changed my mind after reading a book by D.self. Because at 300hz Xo point; signal will be down to -6dB; and the -3dB point is at 190hz. Maybe i'll loose all of the midbass because my woofers aren't good below 70hz. This is why my plan is to cross them below 500hz, -3dB point is at 300hz. Please correct me if i'm wrong, i need advice.

OK, then you'll need to reverse the polarity of the HF. To wire them in phase you'll have to shift the HF backwards enough to account for the 2nd order's 180 deg phase rotation.
GM
edit: ~34400/2/300 = 57.33 cm

Yess! But in my case i'll invert lowpass section using an op-amp, so no change in driver's wire/polarity :)

Hi everyone, i'm back :) I was going through various threads to understand BS compensation theory. Anyway as you know i have made separate enclosures for woofer and fullrange drivers and that's why maybe the matter has become a bit complicated, i need advice. BS of the woofer is around 350hz and 500hz for the fullrange(alright, i know BS compensation only applicable to woofers :rolleyes:). I was thinking to cross (LR2) them at around 497hz(315hz, -3dB) to cover both drivers. I think you understand what i'm trying to say.
The speakers will be placed close to the corner of the room and against the walls. The xover frequency i calculated is very close to 1/4 wavelength criteria, 1/3 of the wavelength of sound.

Regards
Nirupam

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.