Thoughts on the Dynavox LY302F?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, I suspect ot everybody here knows his page all that well, and his extemely interesting measures might have been even more so had the SPLs been calibrated to, say, 1m/w. His comments are also his opinion; not everybody is obliged to agree with him, though in the main they are certainly reasonable. As a minor point in the interests of accuracy, he doesn't actually describe the LY302F as 'the "true" fullrange'. His exact words were that, in his view, it was 'probably the most appropriate driver here for full-range duty.'

That being said, the Dynavox units have tended to fall under the radar as they don't always have the widest availability. The 302F is a decent little unit of the type IMO; I had a pair though here a while back.

Last edited:
Thanks for starting a thread about these drivers, I've been interested in them for some time. I would also be interested if Scottmoose could elaborate a little on his opinion of them...I am a big fan of the FaitalPro 3 and 4in drivers, and wonder how the Dynavox LY302F and LY401F compare, as they seem to have the lowest Fs of any FR driver that size, and fairly flat response.

I would have acquired a pair long ago if they were readily available, but as Scottmoose says they are a little hard to get. I did email Soundimports once, and they did say they could supply them though they are not on the website, but the prices they quoted meant it would be cheaper to get them from PE, with the shipping...Farnell carries them as US stock with a £16 delivery charge, but with a pretty good price, so that's probably the best UK option.

Subjectively speaking of course, how did they sound?

Sorry, I try to avoid giving subjective comments on that front. What I hear or describe by a given phrase is not necessarily what other people will hear or mean by the same, and I lack the writing skills of somebody like Srajan at 6moons. I'll say this: I think it's a decent little unit for the PE money, and although my own measurements weren't quite as good, they were similar enough to fall within reasonable production tolerance and test variation. It's worth people looking at, especially if they live in the North Americas. Probably less so in Europe simply due to it typically costing rather more.

Much of a muchness I believe, re the Faital products.

Really? I was intrigued by the Dynavox drivers because although they are slightly less sensitive, the published FR looks even flatter then the FaitalPros, and the Fs is considerably lower, 53Hz for the Dynavox 4" vs. 90Hz for the 4" FaitalPro...wouldn't that give a significant amount more LF in a MLTL like the TABAQ design?

Although the FaitalPros have the edge on power handling and Xmax...:scratch2:

Really? I was intrigued by the Dynavox drivers because although they are slightly less sensitive, the published FR looks even flatter then the FaitalPros, and the Fs is considerably lower, 53Hz for the Dynavox 4" vs. 90Hz for the 4" FaitalPro...wouldn't that give a significant amount more LF in a MLTL like the TABAQ design?

Although the FaitalPros have the edge on power handling and Xmax...:scratch2:

I was talking to Mayhem13 about the relative price of Faital Pro products in the US and Europe.

Good for them.
Would not survive carmina burana test in my place.

I do not listen loud, but i only use speakers and amplifiers at fraction of their power ratings. Same as i do not drive my car in red rpm all the time.

Likewise at this end; but it's not my place to impose my own views / audio preferences on others. I was simply stating the fact of it.

I got bunch of faitalPRO, 3" and 4" and they have 91 dB sensitivity, similar response, 4fe32, 4fe35, both sound good, smooth and dynamic, even decent power handling

Apples to apples

Not really.......the response range of the Dynavox is wider and is equally efficient in the upper bass range and more efficient in the 15k plus range. Given the cheap price of watts these days, I’d take the wider response and more pronounced bass response over efficiency as a full range.....if we were talking midrange duties.....there’s better candidates out there than both of these hands down.

I think a shootout is in order....LY302, 3FE22 and TC9.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.