The SBAcoustics 3” SB10PGC21-4 / Fiberglass driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Apparently this one does.

What do you find strange in distortion ? It has 12dB peak at 15kHz so i do expect third harmonic to go wild at around 5kHz. Bare in mind that this is THD so it is presenting 2nd, 3rd and all other harmonics with one line.

Well that's easy. Grab a mike and download REW.

You're one sweep away from proving Diego Sartori's measurements are weird since you already own the drivers. You could easily be right.

Well... duh.

Post #3.

But who reads full threads anyway these days......

I'm not saying he's wrong in this case (or maybe....), but I have seen some weird stuff coming out from that site.

Last edited:
I saw that but i consider those measurements weird. Measuring level is too low to be able to see the distortion profile. It should better be presented as percentage, not like that. Frequency response should be measured raw. If that is raw, then it measures nothing like in SB datasheet and that is weird given that SB frequency measurements are quite good.

There's no need for your bad attitude. We're talking, right ?

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay.

ok, I tried to calibrate as best as I could.

That distortion peak is there to stay, and same things happens with the waterfall.

Attachments

• sb10 dist.png
    sb10 dist.png
    206.7 KB · Views: 1,786
  • sb10 waterfall.png
    sb10 waterfall.png
    739.7 KB · Views: 945
Thanks for measurements.

I don't really know what did they try to achieve with this driver. It doesn't have a metal cone but measures like it does. I wouldn't mind peak in distortion if it had stellar distortion under 4kHz which could make it a good midrange in a threeway, but distortion is quite average.

Peerless TG9 (although not black cone) is a lot better driver.

Last edited:
Yeah, a bit odd - I actually have a couple of these coming ,but those results aren't quite what I was hoping to see. I wonder whether a notch on the break-up will help with the amplified distortion products at all. If you have to notch that 4k resonance in the waterfall, it's not going to be a particularly useful driver. Definitely not the 'poor man's 10F' I thought it might be.

I really like the direction SBA is going lately.
They came out with many very good drivers, and I also had high hopes for this one.

Unfortunately, this feels more like a foul ball than a homerun.
Disappointing, and I hope they can come up with a MK II that will address its issues.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.