The SBAcoustics 3” SB10PGC21-4 / Fiberglass driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not a lot of threads regarding this driver, so here are a few observations, not really in order....

It came out last year, took me a while to get my hands on it.
Finally got some over here, and so far, I am impressed.

Construction is flawless. No glue residual anywhere, and overall, a pleasing looking driver from the front and behind as well.

I guess it's competition is the TC/TG9. I don't have a TG9, but I do have some TC9 at home, so I will put them head to head.

I just started testing them, but they still need some breaking in before I do anything serious.

I also have the SB65 to pit it against, and the B80, albeit on another price bracket.

The SB65 excels with stringed and woodwind instruments, while the B80 sounds great with voices.

Initial thoughts, I'd say the SB10 falls about mid-way. Nice sounding voices, and clean sharp strings.

First impressions are really good. Nice packaging, nice construction, square frame and side mounted tabs are perfect for mounting and wiring line arrays.

The SD is a little smaller than a TC9, but it has a little more XMax.

The surround material is very soft. One of the softest rubber surround I have seen.

I bought 4 of them as a test, so the easiest way to break them in was to put them in my little Nola Brio clones.

The baffle step with those is not as pronounced as with the B80 that were in place before. The B80s showed a rise at 2kHz of about 8dBs. The SB10 show a rise of only 4 dBs in the same enclosure.

Overall, the sound is pleasing, and offers plenty of detail.

Will be posting more in the near future.

So, it took a long time, things got in the way.

Here's a comparison with the TC9 vs the SB10 in a Nola Brio clone.

The TC9 (red) has a flatter split between 1kHz and 10kHz.
The SB10 has a small valley between 5kHz and 9kHz, and a peak at 12kHz.

The SB10 does have a bit more out put towards the low end.

The impulse is a bit cleaner with the TC9.

All measurements taken with an uncalibrated measurement mic, so do not take the levels as they should be 2.83V.
Mic was at 1m and exact same position between the two measurements.

Attachments

• combined spl.png
    combined spl.png
    64.8 KB · Views: 1,111
  • tc9 imp.png
    tc9 imp.png
    83.3 KB · Views: 1,093
  • sb10 imp.png
    sb10 imp.png
    75.3 KB · Views: 1,085

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Tnx again - looks as clean as in the prod spec. So it is not a resonance in the driver I would say. Or the resolution in either the measurement or the picture is not high enough? But still, it's obviously there so it must be due to something else or rather more lightly, me not getting it really :)

//

I've tried zooming in the offending area by adjusting the scales to fit within, but either it's not there, or the DATS software is not precise enough....

But then, if something was so tiny, would it even register in the FR?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 9.58.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 9.58.25 AM.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 471
Re-did the measurements.

I tried to brace the XPS box as mrs as I could, so that wouldn't interfere.

It would be best to place it on an infinite baffle, or at least a wooden box made for it, but this is by far the easiest. :)

There's still a 3.8-4kHz resonance, so it's real.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 11.35.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 11.35.23 AM.png
    197.3 KB · Views: 567
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.