Low level FR measurements?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
1. Sync the signal production and recording 2. Use short signals

Couple thoughts.

Both the production and recording of the test signals are digital, so they should be kept in perfect sync by using the same clock signal for both. This way you get the multiple recorded samples exactly (not approximately) aligned.

Use short signals, such as impulses and warbles. That is because the electrodynamic full-range driver is only partially controlled. There are nonlinearities and resonances that allow the driver be partially chaotic, even if only small amount. If you use very short signals and let the driver relax completely between runs, there should be best chances to get the recorded samples similar every time.

There have been some research studies that confirmed the chaotic nature of an electrodynamic speaker driver. Such as: Verification of chaotic behavior in an experimental loudspeaker, by Reiss, Djurek, Djurek and Petosić.

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever seen a square wave sweep. Is there a software than can generate that?

Yes there is, I've been using it for years, but only for listening.
Not sure which of these I've used, in bed with a fever and refusing to go to the cellar, but it looks awfully similar to the Audio SweepGen. So certain it had triangle and another one as well, perhaps it was something else.
14 Best Free Signal Generator Software For Windows

Edit:
Square wave sweep from 10hz can be an excellent challenge for both amps and speakers :)
Use with caution.

Edit2:
Here's a link to Audio SweepGen, pretty sure that was it. VectorScope seems very useful as well.
Audio Tools - from David Taylor, Edinburgh

Last edited:
Yep! But it's an excellent "stress test", sine is well and good to get the general idea, but it pays off to check with something more of a challenge.
I do not believe in "pretty". :D

Edit:
And a go-to tune to check mixed music signals for me is Dopamine - Hold you (Plump Dj's version) the first one here:
YouTube

Ripped it to flac, got the singel as well, but those sweeps there are so nice and tricky to get the right "fat" sound.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.