Mark Audio CHR-120 6 1/2 inch full range speaker driver

Also on soundimport if you live in the EU:

CHR-120 6.5" Grey Full Range Magnesium Woofer - SoundImports

And it looks like a good one also (just like the smaller brother, the CHN110). A fast simulation shows that 50L ported with a 10cm round port of 28cm give you a flat response with F3 of 35Hz in the full power spectrum. And with the very good looking response plot and specs, this promises a lot Not many drivers of that size can do that. Now first see of course if the theory match up with the reality. But as i already have several projects running, it will not be me who tries this first...

Should do. I've already produced a dozen enclosures for it over the past few months which are up on the Markaudio website & testing indicates they work as expected. The links on Madisound are either for different drive units or years out of date. Correct ones at this link: CHR-120 | Markaudio Select the 'Resources' tab, then 'Cabinet Plans and Resource Links'.

Last edited:
Not to be a nervous Nellie, but I still have concerns about the long term durability of mono-suspension designs, most particularly when envisioned as running close to full range as part of a HT system that might be “rode hard and put away wet” so to speak. Been running my A10.3s for must now be at least 3 years in a 7.1 rig, high passed at 80hz.

Not to be a nervous Nellie, but I still have concerns about the long term durability of mono-suspension designs

My understanding is that negative chamber cone is an essential part of the mono-suspension design, making it more balanced by moving center of mass to the front. Unsure where exactly it lies now, but it presumably needing much less support from the spider this way.

Irrelevant, but it's quite strange why it's so expensive, $90.20 (sic! the number itself is weird) at Madisound. I expected it to be under $75. Grabbed pair of golden 11ms instead is they are $85 now.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thanx Jeff.

I was going to mention Joan. Joan is the cousin of XL/Mk3/Lite for larger drivers. To keep the size down it does not have as much gain, likely not needed anyway, with a different flare. So cousin not sibling.

These are the 1st pass drivers: Designed specifically for Alpair 12p, sims suggest it should work with Alpair 12pw, FF225wk, Tang Band W6-2144, W8-1772, Sonido SFR-175A, SFR-175, SFR-200, SFR-200a, SWR-200 (acceptable), SWR-200a (acceptable), Dayton PS220 (just)

Joan-the-FH-extents.png

Scott & I have discussed CHN-110 in FHs and it should work better in Joan than FHXL. i am currently listening to them in FHXL, they really are a bargain.

I am sure Scott will chime in on CHR-120 suitability, i strongly suspect yes.

As i tend to like smaller drivers, and i wasn’t the biggest fan of the first A12 metal that the CHR-120 is based on (granted i have not heard it), i’d say CHN-110 is a safe bet.

dave